Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Women's Sexy Sequins Pointed Toe Stiletto High Heel Bridal shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- LIURUIJIA Women Ankle Boots Casual Patent Leather Flat Martin Short Boots Black Red Wine GI-BT-GC213-2Alfani Becka Black Women's Boot shoes Alfani Becka Black Women's Boot shoes 6reading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Alpine Swiss Women's Pierina Ballet Flats
- Highgrove Hummingbird Ted Baker Women's Hallden Pump
- Women's Summer Sandals Large Size Female
- Super explosion Women's Charleen Classic Fashion Closed Toe High Heel Dress Pumps for Wedding
- JIALUN-shoes Oxford for Men Fashion Casual Firm color Height Increasing Insole Schematic shoes(Conventional Optional)
- Fred Perry Unisex Adults' Barson Suede Sneaker
- Men's Oxford shoes Soft Non-Slip Casual Driving shoes Leather
- Spring Step Mens Phenomenal Sneaker
- Nike Jordan Jasmine GG Girls Lifestyle Sneakers New Wolf Grey Purple Dusk -
- AicciAizzi Women Fashion Heels Boots Zipper
- Vimedea Womens Round Toe Cozy Thick Platform Party Elegant Wedding Party Pump 817-3YG
- AllhqFashion Women's Frosted Round Closed Toe Solid Mid-Top Low-Heels Boots
- Wallhewb Women's Fashion Fringes Self Tie Sandals - Open Toe Faux Suede Solid color - Lace Up Block Medium Heel shoes Dexterous Rubber Sole No Grinding Feet Breathable Dress Pink 5.5 M US Sandals
- Minkun Summer Sandals Women's shoes Ladies Casual shoes Open-Toe shoes Thick Soles shoes
- Women's Suede Microfiber Fall Boots Stiletto Heel Closed Toe Knee High Boots,B,US5.5 EU36 UK3.5 CN35
- Palladium Women's Baggy Army Training Camp Hi-Top Trainers
- T-JULY Women's Fashion Square High Heels shoes Female Plus Size Zip Up Boots Denim Mid Calf Party shoes
- Nike Cortez Basic SL (Kids)
- Cambridge Select Men's Pointed Toe Buckled Monk Strap Dress shoes
- Converse Mens CTAS High Street Hi Mason Black Egret Sneaker
- Dig dog bone Men's Ankle Boots Casual High-top Plus Cotton Warm Non-Slip Comfortable Work shoes
- ARIAT Women's Probaby Western Cowboy Boot
- Fashion Diamond Brand Elegant Summer shoes Peep Toe Crystal Beading High Heels Zipper Nightclub Runway Women Sandals
- ZANZARA Men's Picasso Slip-On Loafer, orange, 8 D US
- Khaki Cobb Hill Rockport Women's Harper-CH Wedge Sandal
- KongKongba-sandal Gladiator Roman Sandals PU Leather Open Toe Knee High Rivet Leisure Sandals Boots Flat
- SHIXRAN Men Breathable Basketball shoes 2017 Autumn New Shock Fashion Youth Outdoor Sports shoes
- Clarks Un Pilot Lace Nubuck shoes in Tan Standard Fit Size 9
- Propét Men's TravelFit Strap Walking shoes
- Warm Green Fuxitoggo Men's Casual Fashion Ankle Boots Round Toe Wear Resistant Belt Work shoes (color Warm Coffee, Size 43 EU) (color Warm Green, Size 41 EU)
- Tirahse Sweet Women's lace up Star Shaped Pierced Fashion Popular Casual Low Heel Sandals Oxfords shoes
- Napa flex by David Tate Womens Captiva Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- Steve Madden Womens Smiley Fashion Sneaker
- Wuixkas Puppy British Dogs Background Womens Lightweight Mesh Sneakers Popular Running shoes
- Grandco Women's Classic Cork Slide Sandals
- City Classified Chunky Block Heel Dress Sandal Over Toe & Ankle Wrap Strap MVE shoes
- Pleaser Women's Sky 316 Sandals
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Women's Flat Sandals Bohemian Beaded Sandals Summer Clip Toe Flip Flops Thongs Beach shoes Suitable for Shopping, BeachTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Beautiful - Fashion Women's Wedge Sneaker High Top Lightweight Casual Lace up Platform Sports Athletic Walking shoes Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Women's Earth Origins, Sophie SandalFidgetFidget Women's Fashion Hidden WedgHeel Casual Sneakers Slip On Walking shoes Size
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.ALOTUS Women's & Men's Memory Foam Slippers with Animal Cute Cartoon Cat Winter Warm Fuzzy Bedroom shoes Non Slip PinkAmoonyFashion Women's Pull On Patent Leather Pointed Closed Toe Kitten Heels Solid Pumps-shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Kyle Walsh Pa Women Autumn Flat Ankle Boots Winter Plush Fur Warm Rhinestone Punk Martin Round Toe Lace-up BootsRather be Women's Slippers 2019 Fashion Rhinestone Open Toe shoes Bohemia Casual Non-Slip Flat Sandals Slippers Women Girls Summer Flats
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Autumn and Winter Home shoes Women Plush Slippers Flat Heel Warm shoes Outdoor Home shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Aerusi Women's Red Plaid Bedroom Slipper
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Ladiamonddiva Sandals Pumps New Ladies Platform Sandals Summer Open Toe Sandals Women's shoes Slope with Platform Wedge Sandals Pink Black White Red Black 4, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.