Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AnMengXinLing Block High Heel Ankle Boots Women Pointed Toe Leather Breathable Mesh Sandals Boots Back Zipper Summer Work Pumps shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- AnMengXinLing Fashion Mid Calf Boot Women Platform Chunky Heel Round Toe Lace Up Martin Boots Non Slip Rubber Sole Outdoor Snow Booties WinterBetterluse Shallow Flats Fashion Simple Casual shoes Comfortable Fashion Sexy Breathable Lightweight Flat shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
AllhqFashion Women's PU Soft Material Round Closed Toe Above-The-Knee High-Heels Boots
- Fuchsia Loeffler Randall Womens Juno (Lamé) Pump
- DoraTasia Women's Sweet Patent Leather Ankle Strap with Pearl Pendant Buckle Party Show Dress Pumps
- Fancyww Woman Linen Printing Fisherman shoes
- Nafanio Women Home Boots Slippers Winter Warm Indoor Floor Bathroom Plush House Fur Comfortable Slip on Women shoes
- pink town High Heel Stiletto Open Toe Dress Sandals Ankle Strap
- Ausland Women's Zipping Mid-Calf Snow Boots Fur Trim Winter Snow Boots 7628
- Palladium PLDM Gaetane TWL Cayenne
- Women Rise & Grind Womens Casual shoes
- AIWEIYi Womens Pearl Chains Chunky Heel Dress Pump Mary Janes shoes Pink
- John Deere Men's 11-Inch FR Steel Toe XRD Met Work Boot
- WeenFashion Women's Open-Toe Buckle Pu Solid High-Heels Sandals, AMGLX010357
- Yonex SHT Eclipsion Women's Tennis shoes Grey orange
- Camper Women's Right Nina K400194 Mary Jane Flat
- Skechers Men's Relaxed Fit Elected Drigo Slip-On Loafer
- Bearpaw Womens Shana Fashion Boot
- GUESS Womens Alysa Ankle Boot
- Earth WomensThistle Ankle Strap Leather Sandal
- The Original MuckBoots Adult Woody Elite Hunting Boot
- Hiking Sandals - Leather Sandals Adjustable Velcro Rubber Outsole Soft And Non-slip - Outdoor Hiking Travel Off-road Beach Men women (38-45)
- Viking Full Klaff 153038, Unisex Adults’ Boots
- Brown Mackin J 188-7 Transparent Pointed Toe Slip On Stiletto High Heel Pump
- AIWEIYi Womens Lolita Sweet Bow Buckles Round-Toe Chunky Low-Heel Mary Janes shoes Black
- ASICS Unisex Adults Gel-saga Glow H4a0n-9007 Low-Top Sneakers
- Clarks Padley Mid, Men’s Boots
- Black Geox Men's U Siron A Loafer Flats
- RizaBina Women Boots Hidden Heel
- Very Volatile Women's Kyra Ankle Boot
- Sernfinjdr Women's Cute Halloween Spooky Fashion Casual Canvas Slip on shoes Designer Running Sneakers
- WeiPoot Women's PU Low-top Solid Zipper Low Heels Boots
- Zarbrina Womens Thin High Heel Ankle Boots Fashion Sexy Pointed Toe Short Plush Flock Slip On Party Dress shoes
- T-JULY Female Spring Wedges Black Platform Sneakers Women Casual Vulcanize shoes
- Flying Woven shoes Mesh Sneakers Trends Men and Women Thick-Soled Running shoes Casual shoes Breathable Couple shoes
- Zarbrina Women Wedge Sneakers Hidden Heel Height Increasing Breathable Ladies Walking Casual shoes
- T-JULY Winter Fashion Women Mid Calf Boots Platform Waterproof Ladies shoes
- shoes Slippers Sandals Dynamic Men's Slippers Trend Personality Thong Beach External Leather Non-Slip Sandals(color )(Size )
- AmoonyFashion Women's Buckle Frosted Peep-Toe High-Heels Solid Sandals
- Zee Alexis Monica Woven Ankle Booties Black
- Men's White shoes, Suede Leather Men's shoes, Casual Men's shoes, Men's Leather shoes
- bluee Zeuow Fashion Women Sandals Breathable Comfort Shopping Ladies Walking shoes Summer Platform Black Sandal
- Nike Free Rn 2018 Mens Style 942836
- J Crew Pisa Black Suede Studded Pumps Size 7 Style D173129 Black New
- GLSHI Men Breathable Basketball Sneakers Autumn Shake Adhesive Young Students Outdoor Running shoes
- Kalra Creations Men's Traditional Velvet Indian Designer shoes
- Padders Terrain 970 Taupe shoes
- Y-H Men's Casual shoes, 2019 Spring New Leather shoes, Loafers & Slip-Ons Lazy shoes Peas shoes,Slip-Ons Driving shoes (color Brown, Size 36)
- ZQ@QXAutumn and winter high-top rough with Martin boots Europe and the United States trend of men's boots
- DoraTasia Leisure Women's Pointed Toe Low Chunky Heel Loafers
- New Balance Women's WX615V1 Training shoes
- Jedi fight back Led shoes Thick Soled shoes Women Glowing Llight up 7 colors Luminous shoes Unisex Women
- Women's Casual Sandals Double Buckle Flat shoes Summer Anti-Slip Slides Beach Slipper
- Women Winter Ankle Boots Fashion Black Martin Boots Platform Party Square High Heels Chaussure Booties
- Funny Cartoon Dog Character Bread Running shoes Wide Women size 10
- Naturalizer Womens Charlotte Slide Sandal
- AIWEIYi Womens Peep Toe Cutouts High Heel Dress Sandals Back Zipper Platform Summer Boots Silver
- Female Summer Pointed high Heels fine shoes Crystal Wedding shoes Bridesmaid Bride shoes Shopping shoes (color White, Size 38)
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,KemeKiss Women Round Heels Pumps BowknotTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Black ASICS GelVanisher shoes Men's Running Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:BalaMasa Womens Rhinestones Chunky Heels Pointed-Toe Suede Pumps shoesBalaMasa Womens Bows Chunky Heels Square-Toe Urethane Pumps shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.BalaMasa Womens Bows Pointed-Toe No-Closure Suede Pumps shoesBalaMasa Womens Hollow Out Buckle Chunky Heels Urethane Oxfords shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. BalaMasa Womens Pointed-Toe No-Closure Solid Suede Pumps shoesBalaMasa Womens Peep-Toe Chunky Heels Peep-Toe Pleather Sandals
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Adidas Neo QT Coneo Womens Sneakers shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
NeeKer shoes Women Sandals Summer Genuine Leather Heels Open Toe Women's Sandals Low Block Heel 5.5CM Woman shoes Sexy Back Strappy
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Skechers Womens On-The-go 600 - Summit Slide Sandal, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.