Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AN Womens Chunky Heels Zipper Imitated Suede Boots DKU02135. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- 1TO9 Womens Solid Structured Travel Urethane Boots MNS02698AdeeSu Womens Tuxedo Non-Marking Business Urethane Sandals SLC04083reading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Spice Art Women's Pink Block Printed Canvas & Cow Genuine Leather Hand Bag
- GOBY Womens shoes Hoot Owl Pattern Ankle Boots HP114
- Women's Wedge Sandals, Large Size Summer shoes Bohemian Rhinestone Decorative Casual Flip-Flops Platform Flats for Swimming Pool, Vacation, Home, Daily Wear
- Kirabon Women's Thick with High Heel Hollow Hollow Patent Leather Pointed High Heel Women's Sandals (color Black, Size 40)
- Winter Footwear Thigh High Boots Female Long Boots High Heel Over The Knee Boots Pointed Toe shoes
- ECCO shoes Women's Soft 7 Slip-On
- Guilty shoes Guilty Heart Womens Strappy Cut Out Perforated Open Toe shoes Block Chunky Mid Heel Comfortable Walking Sandals
- Propet Women's MYA Work shoes Black
- Cambridge Select Women's Ankle Strap Chunky Platform High Wedge Sandal
- KENDALL + KYLIE Women's Kkgiada
- black GIARDINI women's shoes ankle boots popped P907866DE 100 size 39 Black
- Summer trend hiking shoes men's fashion wild breathable casual shoes men's outdoor non-slip wear mesh shoes
- Nike Blazer MID (GS) Boys Basketball-shoes 895850
- Gola Men’s Elite Graphite Black Trainers
- Brown Fay Waters Women's Nubuck Leather Warm Knee-high Boots Fur Chunky Mid Heel Round Toe Winter Snow Booties
- Monica‘s house 2019 New Summer Women Sandals Closed Toe shoes Women's Sandles Sexy High Thin Heel 9.5 cm Women shoes Gladiator shoes
- QIDI Martin Boots Men England Wild Flat Lace Booties (color BLACK, Size US9 EU40 UK7)
- C He-yanjing Men's Casual shoes, Spring The New Men's Fashion Korean Plate shoes Low-top Lace-up Flat shoes Outdoor Travel Sneakers,a,43
- Womens Slippers Female Indoor Plush Slippers Women Winter Warm Faux Rabbit Fur Fluffy Home shoes White Pink Heart-Shaped Pregnant Woman Slippers
- Mules Slides PU Leather Slipper Flat Heel Platform Buckle Woman Pointed Toe shoes
- AnMengXinLing Fashion Over The Knee Stretch Boot Women Block High Heel Suede Leather Pointed Toe Pull On Comfortable Booties shoes Plus Size
- INC International Concepts Womens Zitah Leather Pointed Toe Classic Pumps
- T-JULY Women's Fashion Metal Bowknot Chunky Low Heel Flat Loafers Square Toe Pumps Slip-on Dress Comfy Lazy shoes
- Summer-lavender Women Snow Boots Winter shoes Warm Black Wedges Fashion Slip On Platform Boots Wedges Cotton shoes
- LED Flashing Sneakers USB Charging Light Seven color Men and Women Couples (color A, Size 36EU)
- Lugz Womens Dot 2.0 Sneaker
- Europe and America High Heel Sexy Fish Mouth Hollow shoes Waterproof shoes Sandals Thick with
- Converse CT All Star Ox Black Mens Trainers Size 7 UK
- Skechers Sport Women's Valeris Fashion Sneaker
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,DecoStain Women's Lace Solid Over The Knee Zipper PlateformsTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”HIPPOSEUS Latin Dance shoes for Women Salsa Performance Dancing shoes,Model YC-L028 Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Drew Toby Womens Pumps Stiletto High Heel Shallow Mouth Sparkle Sequin Wedding High Heels1TO9 Womens Bows Spikes Stilettos Low-Cut Uppers Suede Heeled Sandals MJS02732
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Kyle Walsh Pa Women Comfort Foldable Soft Pointed Toe Ballet Flower Rhinestone Slip On Flat shoesLadola Womens Chunky Heels Chunky Heels Low-Cut Uppers Sequin Pumps shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. 1TO9 Womens Spikes Stilettos Low-Cut Uppers Platform Pink Urethane Pumps shoes - 7.5 B(M) US1TO9 Womens Pointed-Toe Spikes Stilettos No-Closure White Patent-Leather Pumps shoes - 6.5 B(M) US
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Imagine Vince Camuto Womens BAVEL Heeled Sandal
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Cotswold Womens Ladies Bownham Short Wellington Boot
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Ladies Winter Motorcycle Boots with Thick Pointed Belt Buckle Size Boots, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.