Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AllhqFashion Women's Round Closed Toe Wedges Kitten-Heels Soft Material Pull-on Pumps-shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- AllhqFashion Women's Buckle Solid PU Kitten Heels Open Toe Sandals with Wrist StrapCanvas Sneakers for Womens Lo-Top Highly Breathable Classics shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Fabulicious Women's Destiny 06R Platform Pump
- Sexy Wedges Women Super High Heels Lady Lace Up Mesh Net Casual PU Leather shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Derived Boot
- Nike Mens Blazer Mid Premium Faux Leather Fashion Sneakers Black 9 Medium (D)
- Hush Puppies Women's Heaven Slip
- Champion 93 Eighteen Repeat Mens Red Canvas Athletic Lace Up Running shoes
- Women Summer Cow Leather Fashion Crystal Gladiator Flat Sandals
- Nike MercurialX Finale II IC Mens Soccer-shoes 831974-589_-Purple Dynasty Bright Citrus
- Icebug Women's Ivalo BUGrip Studded Traction Winter Boot
- Nike Men's 844803-002 Fitness shoes, (Black Volt Anthracite Wolf Grey), 40 EU
- GLSHI Men Basketball Sneakers High Rise Walking shoes Autumn New Cushion Cushioning Outdoor Trainers Running shoes
- LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes Autumn Men'S Pointed Patent Leather Glossy shoes Fashion shoes Fashion Casual shoes Extra Large shoes
- FHCGMX Warm Winter Boots Male Snow Boots Fashion Men Boots Round Toe Ankle Boots Men Work shoes Lace Up Casual Men Sneakers
- WHITE BLACK-CEMENT GREY-INFARED 23- Nike Men's Air Jordan 5 Retro Basketball shoes
- YANJK Running shoes Mesh Comfortable Wild Fashion Casual shoes Sports shoes Women
- CHAMARIPA Men's Height Increasing Oxfords Leather Formal Dress shoes Taller 2.96'' DX70H106S
- ASO-SLING Women Flip Flops Anti Slip Fleece Warm Soft Slippers Casual Outside Plush Sandals Fashion shoes
- Mofgr Women Elegant High Heel Slip On Party shoes 10.5CM Thin Heels with Bowtie Point Toe
- ASO-SLING Womens Hidden Wedges Fashion Sneakers Lace Up Platform Breathable Running Casual Fitness shoes
- DS By KSC Womens Ankle Boots Sexy Double Platform Buckle High Heel shoes
- GOBY Women's shoes Small Patterns Ballet Flat Memory Foam '2028'
- T-JULY Women Sneakers Thick Sole shoes Female Casual shoes High Top Platform Sport shoes in White for Spring
- GIY Women's Casual High Platform Wedges Cork Anti-Slip Peep Toe Slip on Slides Sandals
- Lace Genuine Leather Martin Boots Leather Wool Thick Heel Large Size Booties
- Stretch Stovepipe Boots Knee High Boot 7.5Cm Chunkly Heel Knight Boot Women Fashion Pointed Toe Drawstring Belt Buckle Party Dress Boot EU Size 34-39
- Baretraps Jayce Women's Sandals & Flip Flops
- Women's Vionic, Tide Sport Thong Sandals
- Delicious Womens Date-H Fashion Pumps-shoes,Silver,10
- Jana shoes Monroe Fashion Heel
- black GIARDINI women's shoes high-heeled sandals P908080D 100 size 40 Black
- Prada Women's Patent Leather Thong Slippers shoes
- BLACK NIGHTSHADE-WHITE-VLT ICE Jordan Air Jordan 11 Retro Low Big Kids
- Soulength Women's Classics High Heels Point Toes Patent Leather Small Plus Size Ladies Pumps Non Slip Rubber Comfortable Fashion Work Office shoes(WH06,Black)
- Beverly Hills Polo Club BH436 Sneakers Man Black 41
- ZXCV Outdoor shoes Leisure shoes Outdoor Travel Mountaineering Fashion shoes Men's shoes (color G, Size 39)
- Men Outdoor Hiking shoes Lightweight Breathable Trail Running shoes Fashion Lace Sports shoes Non-Slip Field Travel shoes
- Originals Clarks Mens Desert Rustler Leather shoes in Black
- Cover Plus Fashion Rhinestone Genuine Leather Mens Slip On Steel Toe Dress Suit Casual Loafers shoes
- Artfaerie Women's Mid Block Heel Lace Up Over The Knee Boots with Zip Fashion Thigh High Boots
- Women High Canvas shoes, Lady Flat High Help shoes High Pumps Casual Illuminate shoes Platform shoes Side Zipper Lace-up shoes
- Rongzhi Womens Pumps Stiletto Platform High Heels Ankle Strap Formal Dress Party Prom shoes Round Toe
- Lydee Women shoes Peep Toe Sandals Slip On
- Giani Bernini GB35 Vineza Mary Jane Memory Foam Pump Heels, Mushroom
- SUSIMODA Loafers-shoes Womens Suede Beige
- BalaMasa Womens Ribbons Fringed Ankle-High Snakeskin Boots ABL10649
- 1TO9 Womens Boots High-Top Zip Low-Heel Warm Lining Smooth Leather Firm-Ground Outdoor Urethane Urethane Boots MNS02375
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,AllhqFashion Women's Lace up Round Closed Toe Low Heels Solid Pumps-shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”AllhqFashion Women's Buckle Open Toe Low-Heels Imitated Suede Solid Wedges-Sandals Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Lewis Pitman Wedges shoes Sandals Plus Size High Heels Summer shoes Flip Flop Platform SandalsDahanyi Stylish Summer Women Sandals Open Toe Flip Flops Flower Women Flat Sandals Heels Women shoes Gladiator shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Kyle Walsh Pa Women Slip On Loafers Casual Flats Female Driving Traveling shoesBrilliant sun Women Elegant Mule Low Heel Slip-On Backless Dress Clog shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. A-LING Women's Round Head Vintage Buckle shoes Slip On Martin BootsAugust Jim Women Slipper shoes,Leather Breathable Round Toe Wedge Footwear
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:York Zhu Women Flats shoes Ladies Driving Loafers Moccasins shoes Large Size
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Damara Womens Patchwork Flap Clasp Expandable Zipper Wallet,Dark bluee
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with FUN.S Men Women Walking shoes Slip on Socks shoes Comfortable Sports shoes Mesh Breathable Sneakers, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.