Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Fashion shoesbox Women's Stretch Ankle Boots Vegan Suede Square Toe Pull On Booties Comfort Mid Block Heel Short Boots. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- BMTH Toddler Girls Winter Ankle Boots Suede Warm Low Heel Winter Side Zip Outdoor shoes Boys Waterproof Short BootiesMEIZOKEN Womens Platform Espadrilles Wedges Peep Toe Sandals with Back Strap Slip On shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Seychelles Women's Ambition Slide Sandal
- Red Aldo Women's Nicholes Pump
- Mr Z Waroom Women High Heels shoes Pointed Toe Thin Heels Madam Women's Pumps shoes Patent Leather Sexy OL Career Pumps
- FUN.S Women's Shape Ups Leather Comfort Walking Wedges shoes Platform Heeled shoes for Women
- Base London Dore, Men’s Boots
- Heel That Pain Heel Seat Sandals for Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Spurs, and Heel Pain (Multiple colors and Sizes)
- U.s. Polo Assn GALAN4018S9 C1 Sneakers Man
- Outdoor Beach Leather Men's shoes Men's Casual Leather Sandals shoes for Men
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro High Og Mens Basketball Trainers 555088 Sneakers shoes
- Winter Women's Warm Slippers Indoor Arch Support Solid Rabbit Plush Female Home Bedroom shoes
- Women's Kitten Heel Ankle Booties - Dressy Beaded Stiletto Inside Zip Up - Pointed Toe Short Boots Zipper
- Adrienne Vittadini Womens Franny Loafer Flat
- Ailj Water shoes, Men and Women Quick-Drying Diving shoes Indoor Non-Slip Soft Socks Yoga shoes 3 colors
- GOBY Women's shoes ''Stars, Red & Green Shearling Sneaker Boot'' JST111
- Caparros Women's Nixie Dress Sandal
- Premier Standard Women's Ankle Bootie with Low Heel and Cut-Out Side Design
- Nansay Women's shoes Stiletto Big Size Ladies shoes Solid Pointed Toe Pumps with Fringe for Party Prom
- T-JULY Women Pumps Pu Leather Slip-on shoes String Bead Pointed Toe Square Low Heels Dress Mules Casual shoes
- Cambridge Select Women's Classic Pointed Toe Slip-On High Heel Pump
- LANCROP Women's Comfortable Walking shoes - Lightweight Mesh Slip On Athletic Sneakers 9.5 M US Navy
- Enzo Romeo BL01 Men's Chelsea Boots Dress Fashion Slip On Suede Leather Ankle Boots
- I'll NEVER BE HER Men's shoes Casual Fashion Genuine Cow Pig Leather 2019 Vintage Sewing Design shoes Men Black Lace Up Men shoes Classic
- New Balance Women's 1080v8 Fresh Foam Black White
- Wrangler WM181041 Low Sneakers Man
- Brandon White DUNION Women's Brandon Chain Decorated Penny Loafers Low Heels Almond Toe Casual Daily shoes
- Lucksender Womens Fashion Platform Wedge Heels Sandals Slippers
- LOVDRAM Boots Men's New Men'S shoes Men'S Business Casual shoes Autumn Fashion Single shoes Leather Men'S Leather shoes
- Men Business Suits Leather Round shoes
- XZP Thong Flip Flops shoes, Vintage Casual Beach Sandals Non-Slip Summer Genuine Leather shoes for Man
- CAMPER man low sneakers 18978-036 PELOTAS XL
- Rather be Women's Retro Beach Slippers Sexy Leopard Print Flat Sandals Softwood Print Thong Women's Slippers
- Fashion shoesbox Women's Block Heel Ankle Booties Round Toe Lace-up Slip On Retro Dress Short Martin Boots
- WeiPoot Women's Low-Heels Buckle Pu Solid Open-Toe Sandals
- English Ivy Outdoor Live Plant Leaves White Women's Lightweight Mesh Sneaker Popular Gym shoes
- DETAIWIN Women Dress Oxfords shoes Lace Up Patchwork Comfort Formal Cross-Tied Unisex Business Leather shoes
- AdeeSu Womens Solid Business Travel Urethane Pumps shoes SDC06270
- Dr. Scholl's Womens Tribute Riding Boot
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Geox Womens D Kolleen Fashion SandalsTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”ONCEFIRST Womens Mid Calf Boots Stacked Block Heel Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Elsa Wilcox Women Open Toe Anti-Slip Glitter Wedding shoes Womens Fashion Rhinestone Block Heel Wedges Platform SandalsSeychelles Womens Future Dress Sandal
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Thick with Shallow colorblock Pointed Toe Pumps Dress High Heels Single shoes k11Fay Waters Women's Loafers Soft Easy Slide Mule Moccasins Breathable Slip On Walking Slipper
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Women's Ballet Flats Glitter Cut Out Round Toe Jelly Stylish Slip On Comfort Loafer Casual Walking shoes KR1Nature Breeze EG25 Women Suede Open Toe Gilly Tie Gladiator Wrap Sandal - Beige
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Crystal Flip Flops Women shoes Platform Flats Beach shoes Casual slipper
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
G By Guess Womens Mallory6
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Casual shoes for Womens Lightweight Billie-Eilish-lorde- Best Running shoes, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.