Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about The fairy Summer Poluar Cover Heel Women Sandals Leather Comfortable Ethnic Casual shoes 35-42. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- York Zhu Casual Cute Pom Pom Slip-on House Slippers Flats Anti-Slip shoesAndrea Conti Women's 0345719 Trainersreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Satin Black 2.5 Cushioned Dancing shoes (Incuded Dust Bag)
- Black Grey Two White adidas Originals Men's
- Women Pumps Platform Suede shoes Women Ankle Strap Thick Heeled Ladies shoes
- Artfaerie Womens Low Heel Kitten Pointed Toe Pumps with Bows Slip on Dress Court shoes
- Feenfling Cute Cactus Pattern Womens Printed Slip on Low Top Canvas Athletic Sneakers
- shoes women Chunky High Heels Summer shoes Women Sandals Pumps Ladies
- AllhqFashion Women's Low-Heels Solid Pull-On PU Round Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- LVYING Womens Warm Boots Super High Square Heel Metal Decoration Zipper Winter Office Mid Calf Boots
- T-JULY Women's Sneakers Breathable Woman Canvas shoes Size Spring
- Longbao 2019 Peep Toe Women s Classic Design Zipper Party shoes Spring Party Night Club shoes Woman
- Nike Mens Roshe One Red Mesh Trainers 12 US
- Blowfish Womens Pikel Lace Up Boot with Fur Trim
- Women's Height Increasing Lace Up High Heel Platform Wedge Sneaker Female Fashion Casual Outdoor Walking shoes
- Hoxekle Winter Over The Knee Boots Women Round Toe with Short Plush Zipper Fashion Sexy Long Boots Platform shoes
- Nine West Womens Thayer Fabric Pump
- Skechers Women's You - Shine Sneakers
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Square Toe Block Heel Lace Up Style Handmade Over The Knee Boots
- Superga 2750 Macramew, Women's Low-Top Sneakers Low-Top Sneakers, White (White), 5 UK (38 EU)
- Camper Misia K200564-008 Sandals Women Red
- Men's Set of Feet Leather shoes ，Retro Stylish Casual shoes Hairstylist Tide shoes Men's Korean Tide Flow Personality Embroidered Single shoes
- K-Swiss Men's St529 Heritage Low-Top Sneakers
- Black Céline Dion Harmony Crossbody CBY5609
- UKJSNHH igh Heels Fashion New Women Pumps Classic Sequined Shallow High Heels Pointed Wedding shoes Party shoes
- Nihiug Black Leather shoes for Boys Brogue Office Lace-up Business shoes in The Increase of shoes 6CM
- LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes Leather shoes Men Summer Korean Trend Casual shoes Men'S Wild Music shoes Men'S Fashion Sports shoes
- Black (Black) Frank Wright Men's Edison Boots
- RizaBina Women Fashion Kitten Heel Pumps Slip On shoes with Bow
- KUNZITE Women's Nubuck Leather Handbags Bag Vintage Messenger Shoulder Bags for Ladies and Girls
- F-OXMY Womens Classic Vintage Low Platform Walking shoes Slip On Comfort Soft Faux Suede Oxford shoes
- Eoyles gy Flat Planet Sun Star Women's Slip Resistant Lightweight Running shoes
- WeenFashion Women's Buckle Imitated Suede Split Toe Low-Heels Solid Sandals
- QPGGP-boots Women's shoes, Autumn and Winter, European and American Rough Waterproof Platform with Short Boots, Velvet, Martin Boots.
- Reef Women's Playa Negra Flip Flop Sandal
- Socofy Oxford Leather shoes,Women's Handmade Printing Splicing Plant Pattern Hook Loop Flat Vintage shoes Claret 7 B(M) US
- Geox Womens W Zaferly 2 Dress Sandal
- Europe and pointy stiletto boots for fall winter High heels nude boots spring and autumn Lady boots little boots with
- Globe Men's Los Angered Low Lifestyle shoes Brown
- Adidas Originals Mens Superstar Boost Low Rise Trainers - Coral
- Men's Snow Boots Martin Winter Men Super Warm Genuine Leather Plush Short Boot for Men shoes Large Size：38-46
- Green JaHGDU Ladies Casual Autumn and Winter Keep Warm Super Soft Plush Cotton Slippers Plush Slippers Green pink Red orange
- Sol Sana Womens Iris Mule
- DOSOMI Women's Leather Elastic Over The Knee Autumn Winter Block Chunky Heel Stretch Long Boots
- LOVDRAM Boots Men's Autumn And Winter New Casual Men'S shoes Thick Warm Fashion Martin Boots Fashion High Help Tool Boots Cotton shoes
- LOVDRAM Boots Men's Winter New Leather Martin Boots Men'S Outdoor Casual shoes Thick Warm Men'S Breathable Lace Cotton shoes Men
- FuweiEncore 2018 Mens Business Oxford Casual Simple Classic Round Head Tie Formal shoes (color Brown, Size 45 EU) (color Black, Size 41 EU)
- PUMA - Mens Sky Ii Hi color Blocked Lthr shoes
- Pantofola d'gold Men's's Rubicon men Low Brogues
- Bonrise Women's Pointed Toe Wingtip Oxford shoes Lace-up Classic Casual Flat Low Heel Oxfords Brogues Loafers
- Meet- fashion Women Leopard PU Ankle Boots Round Toe Low Heel Boots Women Zipper shoes
- Hoxekle Summer Sandals Women Aged Faux Leather Flat Fashion shoes Casual Occasions Comfortable Female Sandals
- Meiren Slope with Thick Sandals, Rhinestones and Mid-Heeled shoes Sole with Bulk Sandals, 36
- Pleaser Women's Illusion 661 Sandals
- Clarks Womens Caddell JENA Faux Suede Criss-Cross Wedges
- Adidas Adilette Comfort W Black Synthetic Adult Flip Flops Sandals
- Crazycatz Womens Bohemian Knee High Boots Leather Flat Long Boots Splicing Pattern Tall Boots
- UBCA-TINGY Ladies Low Heel Military Buckle Motorcycle Cowboy Ankle Booties
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Women Flats shoes, Spring Autumn Pointed Toe Basic Ballet Flats shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Kyle Walsh Pa Women Wedge Flat Sandals,Bohemian Woven Rhinestone Open Toe Zipper Beach shoes Beige Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:BalaMasa Womens Sandals Kitten-Heels Huarache Urethane Sandals ASL04792BalaMasa Womens Sandals Closed-Toe High-Heel Water_Resistant Light-Weight Nubuck Urethane Sandals ASL04566
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Unm Women's Elegant Pointed Toe Back Zipper Dress Stiletto Kitten Heel Booties Ankle Boots shoesEllie L7-Flirt 7 Heel Sandal W Multicolor Lights
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Unm Women's Fashion Side Zipper Frosted Round Toe Daily Party Chunky High Heel Ankle BootsUnm Women's Elegant Beaded Low Cut Slip On Square Toe Chunky Low Heel Pumps shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:shoes Pumps Pointed Toe Ladies shoes Suede Platform Heels Lace-up Women Sandals Footwear,Black,35
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
BalaMasa Ladies Platform Low-Cut Uppers Round-Toe Suede Pumps shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Oppicong Womens Low Mid Heels shoes Leather Pointed Dress Pumps, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.