Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AmoonyFashion Women's Open Toe Buckle Pu Assorted color Low Heels Platforms & Wedges. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- AmoonyFashion Womens Closed Pointed Toe Mid Heel Soft Material PU Solid Pumps with Glass Diamond, bluee, 9.5 B(M) USSunny Doll 2019 Women High Heels Pumps Crystal Pearl White Wedding shoes Cutout Tassel Ankle Strap Ladies shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
WeiPoot Women's Solid Imitated Suede Kitten Heels Open Toe Hook and Loop Sandals
- Wine Red CAMSSOO Women's Flat Chelsea Boots Walking Boots for Women Elastic Waterproof Round Toe Ankle Boots
- Lindarry Ankle Strap Sandals for Women Stiletto High Heeled Pumps for Ladies Pointed Side Cut Out Faux Suede Fashion (color Nude, Size 11 M US)
- Women Platform Slip On Comfort Loafers Sneakers Driving shoes
- Women's Fashion Lightweight Sneakers shoes Flamingo Red Pink Original Basketball shoes
- AmoonyFashion Women's Hook-and-Loop Open Toe Pu Solid Sandals, BUSLS004742
- I Need-You Autumn Women Slippers Flock Bowtie Female Mules Fashion Low Heels shoes Pointed Toe Plus Size Elegant Woman Slipper,Sky bluee,5
- Spring Martin Boots Men's Boots Men Couple Boots Tendon At The End High To Help Tooling Boots
- Camel active Men's University 20 Derbys
- Skechers Men's Molton-GAVERO Chelsea Boot, BRN, 6H Medium US
- Bonnibel Trina-2 Womens Cut Out Back Zip Wedge Sandals
- White T-JULY Women Mules Pumps Peep Toe Thin High Heels shoes Sweet Bow Summer Party Sexy Bling Upper Woman shoes Footwear
- Pelle Moda Women's Rivka-SL Dress Pump
- Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Womens Aster Loafer Flat
- Cr Elnora Gladiator Open Toe Lace Back Full Zipper Thigh High Stiletto Heel Boot Nude
- MNX15 Women's Elevator shoes Height Increase 2.7 Hunter orange
- Cambridge Select Women's Western Chunky Stacked Heel Shootie Ankle Bootie
- Rieker Men Slipper beige, (CREMA) 05284-60
- Red red Dr. Martens 1460 Originals Eight-Eye Lace-Up Boot
- Merrell Women’s Moab Gore-Tex Low Rise Hiking shoes Grey
- Fashion Men's Casual Sneakers Flying Weaving Sports shoes
- TXHLKD Summer Mens Slippers British Fashion Men Sandals Genuine Leather Lazy Beach Sandals Flip Flops Men Summer shoes 9 Brown
- Kenneth Cole Mens to BE Bold SY to Be Bold Sy
- Adidas Unisex Adults’ By9254 Low-Top Sneakers
- Henselite Mens HM75 Lightweight Impact X Lawn Bowls shoes Navy
- bluesh gold Lizard Print Sam Edelman Womens Ariella Heeled Sandal
- Thin High Heel Peep Toe Toe Platform Party shoes Women Sandals Sexy Women Sandals 34-43
- Artfaerie Womens Stiletto High Heel Pointed Toe Ankle Strap Thin Heels Pumps Sexy Court shoes with Mental Buckle
- FANIC Women's Athletic Walking Running shoes Lightweight Casual shoes Comfortable Mesh Work Slip-on Sneakers (38, Brown)
- Hoxekle Woman's Glitter Flat Casual Thong Flip Flops Fashion Beach Comfort Antislip Roman Sandals
- Beige (Cardboard Caqtra Casbla) adidas Men's Gazelle Trainers
- Uieort Military Camo Star Womens Lace Up Sneakers shoes Rubber Sole
- Yellow Box Womens Shandra Cutout Wedge Thong Flip Flop Sandals
- KingRover Women's Fashion-Hi Over-The-Knee Thigh High Shaft High Heel Boots Black Suede
- DANDANJIE Womens shoes Spring Summer Autumn Mesh Sandals Ladies Cross Straps Zipper High Boots
- Chase & Chloe Maise-1 Women's Heeled Sandal with Trimmed Design and Ankle Strap Closure
- Vittadini Sport Charlie Gladiator Leather Sandals Women
- Papillio Womens Gizeh Platform Birko-Flor Sandals
- Aerusi Women's Coral Jones Floppy Straw Hat and Foam Sandals Bundle Set Flip-Flop
- Welltree Men's Cotton Memory Foam Slippers Knit Indoor House shoes Anti-Slip Comfort Sole Cozy Plush
- Papillio Cameron Sandals in Black
- Topo Athletic Hydroventure 2 Trail Running shoes - Women's
- Adidas Women's Ultraboost St Parley Running shoes
- Converse Auckland Racer Ox Nylon Suede, Unisex Adults’ shoes
- ZHIJINLI Track and field shoes fitness shoes running shoes walking shoes sneakers training shoes running shoes tennis shoes with track and field, 38EU
- DC - Mens Chris Cole S M Low shoes, UK 6 UK, Black
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,WeenFashion Women's Kitten-Heels Round Closed Toe Frosted Mid-Top BootsTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Ladies breathable canvas shoes outdoor casual shoes fashion flat shoes ladies shoes ( color Black , Size 38 ) Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Women's Sandals Embroidered Cloth shoes Tourist Area Mom shoes Oxford Fish Mouth Slope Heel shoes Canvas shoesNike Womens Flex Supreme tr 6 Low Top Lace Up Running Sneaker
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Rocket Dog Women's Henna Summer Tote Cotton Boat shoesT-JULY Female Flats Summer shoes Women No Heels Loafers Beige bluee Black Pointed Toe Slip-on Personalizados Homem Casual
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Sbicca Womens Claudina Wedge SandalAIYOUMEI Women's Pointed Toe Glitter High Heels Stiletto Pumps shoes Slip on
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Women's Climate Faux Leather Lace-up Thick Platform Chunky Heel Lug Ankle Bootie Plus Velvet Side Zipper Women's Booties Warm Women's Boots
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
AmoonyFashion Women's Buckle Kitten-Heels Pu Solid Pumps-shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with WeenFashion Women's Lace-up Low-Heels Microfibre Solid Round-Toe Pumps-shoes, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.