Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Cyiecw Women's House Slippers Cute Fox Animal Slipper Comfort Fluffy Plush Indoor Outdoor Non-Slip Home Slippers shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- ANLUKE Ballet shoes House Slippers Flats Indoor shoes for WomenStarbay Women's Lightweight Canvas Thong Flip Flops Great for Summer Beach Casual Everydayreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
BVFCKMO Sunset in The City Picture Fashion Comfortable Flip Flop Big Screen Slip On Slide Sandal
- Highgrove Hummingbird Ted Baker Women's Hallden Pump
- Women's Summer Sandals Large Size Female
- Super explosion Women's Charleen Classic Fashion Closed Toe High Heel Dress Pumps for Wedding
- JIALUN-shoes Oxford for Men Fashion Casual Firm color Height Increasing Insole Schematic shoes(Conventional Optional)
- Fred Perry Unisex Adults' Barson Suede Sneaker
- Men's Oxford shoes Soft Non-Slip Casual Driving shoes Leather
- Spring Step Mens Phenomenal Sneaker
- Nike Jordan Jasmine GG Girls Lifestyle Sneakers New Wolf Grey Purple Dusk -
- Rongzhi Womens Gladiator High Heels Stiletto Hollow Zip Lace Up Heeled Sandals Party Prom shoes Open Toe
- LizForm Womens Unique Wedding Bride Bridesmaid Party Show Dress Cone Heel Crystal Sandals
- J.Renee Women's Bambalina Dress Pump
- Bogs Women's Nashville Flip Flop
- Summer Women Flat Soft Fashion Beach Sandals Summer Ladies Thick Sole Non-Slip Flat Buckle Sandals
- JOYBI Women Platform Gladiator Sandal Motorcycle Biker Non-Skid Buckle Slip-On Thick Block High Heels Sandals
- JIEEME Ladies Fashion Zip Pointed Toe Thin Heels Genuine Leather Buckle Strap High Heels Black Knee-high Women Boots
- August Jim Womens Flats shoes,Round Toe Soft Sole Winter Warm Mink Hair Slipper
- FH Outdoor Camping Hiking shoes Non-Slip Wear Hiking shoes Cross-Country Running shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren Mens Solomon Sneaker
- Joma Indoor Soccer shoes Super REGATE SREGW_811 Fluo-Royal Calcetto Scarpa
- Women's Sneakers New Spring Leather Sports shoes Low-Top Casual shoes Breathable Non-Slip Athletic shoes Training shoes,Beige,39
- Muck Boots Chore Steel Toe CSA Fleece Boot
- SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker Womens Celia Double Strap Mule Pump
- Na-Zh Men'S Sneakers Fitness shoes Woven Men'S shoes Running shoes Casual
- Retro Pink Sam Edelman Womens Dori Pump
- Shiney Women's shoes Pointed High-Heeled Fashion Thick Ankle Boots Female 2018 Plus Velvet Suede Autumn Winte
- RUGAI-UE Summer shoes, single shoes, European and American fashion toes with rough heels
- Adidas Men's Zx Flux Em Training Running shoes
- PIKOLINOS Men's, Salou M9J4225 Perforated Lace up Oxfords
- Black XHD-Men's shoes Men's Personality Driving Loafers Casual Braid Solid British Style Comfortable Genuine Leather Boat Moccasins
- Superdry Flip Flops Printed Cork FLI. Pink
- Gusha Transparent Tube Boots Ladies Round Toe Thick Heel Boots Martin Boots
- Mamamoo Women Summer Sandals High Heels shoes Ankle Strap Thick Heels Party Dress shoes Women
- Wuixkas Colourfor Skulls Womens Lightweight Mesh Sneakers Cool Running shoes
- KJLJ-WOMENS Women's Anime Style High Top Canvas shoes
- AdeeSu Womens Travel Platform High-Top Urethane Boots SXC03645
- Robert Reyna Fashion Women's Fluffy Fur Rhinestones High Block Heels Zipper Ankle Boots
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Women Flat Sandals Summer Beach T-Strap Bohemian Flip Flop shoes Ankle Strap Thong shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Kuuland Men Women Water shoes Quick Dry Barefoot Aqua Socks Beach Swim shoes for Swimming Diving Surf Pool Beach Walking Yoga Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Tuoup Womens Cotton Anti-Skid Cozy Winter House Indoor Slippers77Fine Womens Warm Slipper Faux Fur Plush Knit Fussy Fluffy Memory Foam Home House Slipper for Girl Men
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.CORPS GEMA Women's Solid Slim Flip FlopEyeones Men's Lightweight Quick Drying Mesh Aqua Slip-on Water shoes Perfect Match Waterproof Phone Case
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Red Choice Collection Women's Indian Ethnic FootwearFoot Care Massage Acupressure Slippers Agate Stones Foot Slipper Massage Sandals shoes Feet Massager Slippers Women Men
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Natural Soul Womens Jordana Flat Sandal
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Feenfling Colourful Siamese Cat Dot Womens Light Canvas Boat shoes Low Top Best Athletic Sneakers for Women's
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Womens Genuine Leather Rhinestone Hollow Out Slip On Work shoes Loafer, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.