Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Running-sun Women Sandals Flat Real Leather Sandals Casual Summer Women shoes Plus Size 33-43. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Keds Women's Cali II Studio Jersey SneakersLes Tropéziennes par M. Belarbi Women’s Clemence Trainersreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Feenfling Cute Farm Animal Womens Plain Slip on Low Top Canvas Sneaker
- Fuchsia Loeffler Randall Womens Juno (Lamé) Pump
- DoraTasia Women's Sweet Patent Leather Ankle Strap with Pearl Pendant Buckle Party Show Dress Pumps
- Fancyww Woman Linen Printing Fisherman shoes
- Nafanio Women Home Boots Slippers Winter Warm Indoor Floor Bathroom Plush House Fur Comfortable Slip on Women shoes
- pink town High Heel Stiletto Open Toe Dress Sandals Ankle Strap
- Ausland Women's Zipping Mid-Calf Snow Boots Fur Trim Winter Snow Boots 7628
- Palladium PLDM Gaetane TWL Cayenne
- Women Rise & Grind Womens Casual shoes
- AIWEIYi Womens Pearl Chains Chunky Heel Dress Pump Mary Janes shoes Pink
- John Deere Men's 11-Inch FR Steel Toe XRD Met Work Boot
- pinkG Women's Leather Sneaker Fashion Lace Up Platform Casual shoes
- Women's Stilettos Round Toe Studs High Heel Extreme Platform Booties Fashion shoes
- Lucky Brand Womens Salmah2 Ankle Boot
- DUNION Women's Appoint Pointed Toe High Heel Stiletto Dress Pump Evening Party Wedding shoes
- Bowlerstore Men's TCR2L Sport Comfort Cobra Rental Bowling shoes- Laces, 5 US M, Red Black
- Women's Ankle Boots, Leather Bare Boots Fashion Metallic Toe Floral Fringe Boots Pointed Toe Zipper Novelty Boots (color A, Size 35)
- Giorgio Brutini Men's 24876 Slip On Loafer
- Naot Footwear Women's Lace-up TiMu shoes
- Puma The silverina Nylon Sneaker
- GLSHI Men Running shoes 2018 Autumn Mesh Breathable Cushion Sneakers
- Petal Pink Keds Women's Double Decker Perf Suede Sneakers
- GIY Womens Sports Running Sneaker Breathable Mesh Casual Lace up Slip On Athletic Walking Tennis shoes
- Redskins Jamat Navy blue VK201FH713, Trainers
- Made In Italia shoes Basse Stringate men black (TARUMBO)
- Rockport Men's Dp Modern Bike Toe So shoes, Size 10.5 D(M) US, color Black Lea
- Beautiful Women Pine Trees Slip on Beach Sandals and Anti-Slip Shower Slipper Comfort Sandals
- Sam Carle Women's Pump，Chunky Heel Stylish Casual Leopard Beige Office Shallow Mouth Pumps
- QueenFashion Women's Close Round Toe Platform Lace-up Closure Fur Ornament Chunky Heels Frosting Leather and Suede Knee High Boots with Metal Ornament
- AmoonyFashion Women's Pointed Closed Toe Buckle Pu Solid Low Heels Pumps shoes
- Flamboyant Feathers bluee Marathon Running shoes Womens size 9
- Divinity Boutique Teal bluee Butterfly (M) Bible Cover
- Rieker Women's Multi Metallic Floral Perforated Bow Slip On Flat UK 4 - EU 37 - US 6
- Original Intention Women Sandals Patent Leather Open Toe Thin High Heels Stylish White Black shoes
- Nine West Womens Wnaubrey Heeled Sandal
- CHENXD shoes, Men's Fashion British Style Round Toe Business Oxford Casual Breathable Formal shoes
- TG8051048 SAFETY shoes Sprinter S3 ESD Src Size 48 In Black-Lime
- Spring New Men Casual shoes Breathable Wear Resistant shoes Comfortable Summer White Round Toe Lace up Flat Snekaers
- IDIFU Women's Candice-V Fold Over Round Toe Ankle Booties Hidden Medium Wedge Heel Side Zipper Faux Suede Short Boots
- T Clarks Women's Mascarpone Bay Dress Ankle Boot
- WIDEWAY Men's Military Jungle Boots Full Grain Leather Speedlace Desert Boots Combat Outdoor Work Water Resistant Boots
- Alfani Vandela 2 Women Round Toe Leather Black Bootie
- Joma shoes Mundial 823 IN
- Camper Men’s Match Sandals
- LOVDRAM Men'S shoes Pointed shoes Men'S Breathable Comfort Tie Business Dress Men'S shoes Wedding Fashion shoes
- GAIQIN Casual shoes Men's shoes - Summer Beach shoes Men's Anti-collision Sandals Men's Sandals Sports Sandals Casual shoes Men (color A, Size 38)
- Rockport Mens Zaden Pointed Toe bluecher Leather shoes (11 UK) (Navy)
- Autumn Winter Short Boots Thick Waterproof Side Zip Chelsea Boots at The end of Chunky Heels Ankle Boots Martin Boots Thin Boots Womens Boots
- KemeKiss Women Open Toe Sandals shoes Heels
- Nafanio Womens's Winter Slippers with Platform Indoor Faux Fur Warm Cartoon Home shoes Fluffy Girls Sandals
- Sernfinjdr Women's Vegan Cannabis Science Marijuana Fashion Casual Canvas Slip on shoes Best Cycling Sneakers
- WeiPoot Women's Soft Material Pull-On Round Closed Toe Low-Heels Low-Top Boots
- CYBLING Womens Embroidery Mule shoes Suede Plush Fur Velvet Pointed Toe Loafers Flat shoes
- T-JULY Perfect Quality Thin High Heels Summer Mules Pumps shoes Sexy Bling Upper Party shoes Women Plus Size
- 1TO9 Womens Spikes Stilettos Platform Peep-Toe Black Urethane Pumps shoes - 5.5 B(M) US
- Scott Hawaii Women's Hana Flip-Flop
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,CAPE ROBBIN Suzzy-42 Satin Ankle Buckle Strap Open Toe Stiletto High Heel Sandal shoes BlackTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Grasshoppers Womens Janey Ii Jersey Fashion Sneaker Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Women Sandals Simple Buckle Punk Rivet Fashion Summer shoes Genuine Leather Comfortable Flat shoesDecoStain Women's Metal Ring&Pearls Pleated High Heel Boots
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.DREA New Women Casual Loafers Casual Flats shoes Travelling Cute Unicorn shoesStep n Style Ladies Jooti Flat Khussa Anarkali Mojari Flat Ballet Salwar Kameez Juti
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Xjizm 2018 Summer Breathable Mesh Sneakers Hidden Increasing shoes Women Wedge Casual shoes Slip on High Heels 11 cm Platform shoes Black 6.5Department of octopus mouth cross strap high-heeled shoes high-heeled sandals women shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Karl Conner Women Sandals with Pearls Summer shoes Fashion Thick High Heels Sandals
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Abstract Floral Tulips Womens Latest Sneakers shoes Low Top Classic Sneakers shoes for Women's
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with HANBINGPO Patent Leather Thin Heels Office Women shoes Pumps Fashion High Heels shoes Women's Pointed Toe Sexy shoes Shallow,9511-74,39, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.