Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Xi wei hu Unisex USB Charging High Tops Led Light up shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Via Spiga Women's V-Penelope SandalBtrada Women Metal Button Flat Sandals Peep Toe Roman Sandalsreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Bright Tribal Pattern Womens Fashion Canvas Low Top Neon Tennis shoes For Women's
- GOBY Womens shoes Hoot Owl Pattern Ankle Boots HP114
- Women's Wedge Sandals, Large Size Summer shoes Bohemian Rhinestone Decorative Casual Flip-Flops Platform Flats for Swimming Pool, Vacation, Home, Daily Wear
- Kirabon Women's Thick with High Heel Hollow Hollow Patent Leather Pointed High Heel Women's Sandals (color Black, Size 40)
- Winter Footwear Thigh High Boots Female Long Boots High Heel Over The Knee Boots Pointed Toe shoes
- ECCO shoes Women's Soft 7 Slip-On
- Guilty shoes Guilty Heart Womens Strappy Cut Out Perforated Open Toe shoes Block Chunky Mid Heel Comfortable Walking Sandals
- Propet Women's MYA Work shoes Black
- 2 color Size 5-12 New Striped Genuine Leather Dress Loafers Mens shoes Grey
- KANNA Womens Kv7133 Fabric Open Toe Casual Platform Sandals
- High Heels, Women's Sandals - Women's Large Size Open Toe Sandals - Sexy - Metal Buckle high Heel Sandals (Heel Height 8cm),A,37
- ZHRUI Mens Slip on Boat shoes Driving Classic Soft Sole Non Slip Deck shoes (color Black, Size UK 9)
- WZG Men 's military boots winter men' s Mianxue snow shoes warmer special forces combat boots high - fiber high - help shoes Martin boots , black , 42
- LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes Autumn And Winter Leather Casual shoes Men'S Leather Lace-Up shoes In The Low To Help Large Size shoes
- - Sokaly Women's Sneaker High-Heeled Canvas shoes High-Top Wedge Sneakers Platform Lace up Side Zipper Pump Fashion Sneakers (7-7.5 B(M) US, White)
- ZerenQ D'Orsay Pumps for Women High Stiletto Heels Glitter Dress shoes Pointed Toe Durable (color Silver 8 cm Heel, Size 5.5 M US)
- Kickers Men shoes 610233-60 OLYMPEI 116 Camel
- bluee HYF Men's Loafer shoes Genuine Leather Low Top Ankle Boots Big Kids Driving shoes
- YP-fashion New Women Slippers PVC Crystal Square Heel Transparent Clear High Heels Summer Slippers Sandals Pumps 11cm
- Madden girl Womens Lorna Heeled Sandal
- WeiPoot Women's Lace-up Round-Toe Low-Heels PU Assorted color Pumps-shoes
- Owaheson Classic Canvas Slip-On Lightweight Driving shoes Soft Penny Loafers Men Women Uruguay Flag
- Women's High Heel Over Knee Boots Pull On
- AmoonyFashion Women's Pull-on No-Heel Cow Leather Solid Open Toe Sandals
- RHFDVGDS end of Platform Lady shoes Chunky Heels Thin shoes high Heel Platform shoes Round Shallow Platform shoes
- Tamaris - Black White Textil Synthetik - 12372228005
- Women Purple Summer Ladies shoes Woman Block Heels Pig Leather Insole Ankle Strap shoes Sandalias
- Propet Women's TravelActiv Slide Sneaker, Black, 6.5 D US
- Men's Casual Flat Loafers Fashion Slip Driving shoes Driving shoes Spring Fall Leather Loafers & Slip-Ons (color B, Size 45)
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Jedi fight back Led shoes Thick Soled shoes Women Glowing Llight up 7 colors Luminous shoes Unisex WomenTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Jedi fight back LED Luminous Sneakers Fashion USB Charging Light Breathable shoes. Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:FOR U DESIGNS Women Men Lightweight Sports Sneakers Laces Tie-up Running shoes Boys Girls Medical CartoonBlondo Womens Velvet Ws Waterproof Riding Boot
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Orly shoes Free Reign Women's Strappy Ankle Cuff Gladiator Vegan Leather Ankle Height Sandal (Wide Width)Wallhewb Women's Flat Ankle Strap Flower Flip-Flops Sandals Girls Dress Skinny No Griding Feet Rubber Sole Sweet Joker Elegant White 8 M US Sandals
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. 1TO9 Girls Metalornament Solid bluee Polyurethane Sandals - 4.5 B(M) USWomens Mid Heels Sparkling Sandals Ladies Sexy Pointed Toe Ankle Strap Party Dress shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:QianQianStore Women Sandals Summer 2018 Platform Sandals High Heels shoes Ankle Strap Ladies Sandals
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Cute Llama Alpacas Fashion Canvas Sneakers shoes For Womns 3D Printed Low Top Canvas shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Ailj Water shoes, Women's Quick-Drying Diving shoes Non-Slip Running shoes Skin Soft shoes Suitable for Swimming Wading Pink, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.