Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AIYOUMEI Women's Round Toe Wedges Pumps shoes Ankle Strap with Bows. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Bettye Muller Womens Shaye Wedge SandalBIGTREE Knee High Boots Women Warm Faux Fur Strap Buckle Platform Black Increased Long Bootsreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
NIGHT WALL Comfortable Slip-on Winter Winter Men's Indoor Non-Slip Warm and Deodorant Cotton slippersHouse shoes Indoor & Outdoor
- Sexy Wedges Women Super High Heels Lady Lace Up Mesh Net Casual PU Leather shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Derived Boot
- Nike Mens Blazer Mid Premium Faux Leather Fashion Sneakers Black 9 Medium (D)
- Hush Puppies Women's Heaven Slip
- Champion 93 Eighteen Repeat Mens Red Canvas Athletic Lace Up Running shoes
- Women Summer Cow Leather Fashion Crystal Gladiator Flat Sandals
- Nike MercurialX Finale II IC Mens Soccer-shoes 831974-589_-Purple Dynasty Bright Citrus
- Icebug Women's Ivalo BUGrip Studded Traction Winter Boot
- Nike Men's 844803-002 Fitness shoes, (Black Volt Anthracite Wolf Grey), 40 EU
- Easy Go Shopping Men's Running Sneakers Casual PU Leather Breathable Platform Board shoes Low Top Anti-Slip Round Toe Lace Up Cricket shoes
- Summer Handmade Sewing Sandalias Genuine Leather Male Sandals Men shoes Casual Classic Beach Breathable
- Merrell Moab Vent, Men’s Hiking shoes
- Ocean Rieker Damen Schnuerhalbschuhe red, 961617-41
- Huhuj Spring low retro shoes English lace shoes Thick-soled platform shoes
- Dapper shoes Co. Handcrafted Genuine Men's Classic Double Monkstrap Slip- On Leather Lined Dress shoes
- WestCoast Womens Ankle Strap Comfort Criss Cross Platform Wedge Sandals
- KemeKiss Women Classial Block High Heels Long Boots Extra Size
- Leather Women Wedge Sandals Open Toe Rhinestone High Heel Buckle Strap Fashion Slip on Platform Summer
- Elsa Wilcox Women Ethnic Style Breathable Round Toe Flower Casual Slip on Walking shoes Womens Lace Up Flat shoes
- Zalezing Comfortable Women's High Heels Solid Pointed Closed Toe Zipper Boots with Knot
- AdeeSu Girls Solid Casual Classic Imitated Leather Boots
- MZjJPN Women Ankle Boots Plus Size Autumn Low Heel shoes Platform Casual Short Boot Lace Up Fold Footwear
- Women's Long Boots, Fall Winter Comfort High Ankle Boots Ladies The Knee Fashion Martin Boots (color B, Size 39)
- Ellie 709-FANTASY Women's 7 Pointed Stilitto Stretch Thigh High Boots, Black, 6 Size
- Marc Fisher LTD Womens Idinia
- Forever Collection Womens Sadie Pumps Mid to Low Heel Slip On shoes
- Bloch Mens Jazz Tap Dance shoes
- Cynthia Vincent Women's Jinxed Sandal
- Rockport Women's Courtlyn Fur Low
- Nike Women's Flyknit Max Nylon Cross-Trainers shoes
- Black T-JULY Wedge Sandals Genuine Leather Sandals Women Fashion High Heels Female Summer shoes
- Longbao 2018 Summer Women's Roman Beaded Sequins Sandals Ladies Bohemian Fashion Joker shoes
- Y-H Men's Casual shoes,2019 New Student Outdoor Running shoes, Walking Gym shoes Climbing Sneakers,e,38
- Adidas Kids Zx 700 Cf I shoes
- Cofra 00060-014.W42 Size 42 Electrical Safety shoes - Yellow
- Mens Leather Lined Up Frog Dress
- CALTO Men's Invisible Height Increasing Elevator shoes - Lightweight Lace-up Casual Fashion Sneakers - 2.6 Inches Taller
- MisaKinsa Women High Heel Pumps shoes
- DolphinGirl Women Fashion White Peep Toe 12CM High Heels Ankle Wrap Zip Dress Pumps Stiletto shoes SM00102
- AmoonyFashion Womens Closed Pointed Toe Mid Heel Soft Material PU Solid Pumps with Glass Diamond, Pink, 9.5 B(M) US
- York Zhu Women Boots - Lace up Clear Leather Round-Toe Rain Booties
- Sam Carle Women Pumps, Fashion Metal Flower Heel Slip On Pointed Toe Wedding shoes
- QCHOMEE Winter Ankle Boots Womens Mens Warm Slippers shoes Non-Slip Fuzzy Booties Fleece Indoor Bedroom Home Slip-on shoes Cartoon Big Nose Plush Dog Animal Slippers
- T-JULY Women's High Wedges Boots Lace up Winter Ankle Boots Warm Platform shoes Fashion Slip on Sexy Short Boots
- Webb Perkin Women Lace up Solid Female Casual shoes Martin Round Toe Winter Snow Boots Lady Ankle Boots
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Chaqlin Stylish Women shoes colorful High Top Casual Canvas shoes for Girls Non-SlipTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”AIYOUMEI Women's Thin Heel Platform Round Toe Autumn Winter Solid Mid-Calf Boots Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:MIA Womens Robyn Fashion BootMila Lady Women's Lexie Crystal Dress Sandals (Kimi 26)
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Show Story Gladiator Laser Cut Out Wooden Look Wedges Platform Clogs Sandals,LF30836Women Red Fashion Glitter Slip-On Loafer DolphinGirl shoes Vacation Platform Loafer Shiny Bling Comfy CY00452
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. DolohinGirl Women Fashion Black High Heel Sandals Formal Business Court shoes SM00296Dolphin Fashion Women's bluee Flower Hollow Flax Dress Pumps Cocktail Party shoes SM00023
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Show Story Lace Up Buckle High-top Bone High Heel Platform Ankle Boots,LF40601
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Fashion shoesbox Women's Round Toe Lase-up Ankle Boots Ladies Leather Combat Booties Fashion Winter Motorcycle Martin Boots
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Franco Sarto Womens Doxie Mule, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.