Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Black Butler Grell Flip Flop Sandals. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Nafanio Flush Winter Slippers Women Ladies House Cotton Women Home Slides shoes Woman Outdoor Cute BootsMinitoo MZLL030 Women's Fashion Comfortable Handmade Satin Wedding Party Evening Prom Flatsreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
S-3 Women's Lightweight Slip-On Breathable Stretch Casual Athletic Sport Comfort Walking shoes Fashion Sneaker
- Black Grey Two White adidas Originals Men's
- Women Pumps Platform Suede shoes Women Ankle Strap Thick Heeled Ladies shoes
- Artfaerie Womens Low Heel Kitten Pointed Toe Pumps with Bows Slip on Dress Court shoes
- Feenfling Cute Cactus Pattern Womens Printed Slip on Low Top Canvas Athletic Sneakers
- shoes women Chunky High Heels Summer shoes Women Sandals Pumps Ladies
- AllhqFashion Women's Low-Heels Solid Pull-On PU Round Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- LVYING Womens Warm Boots Super High Square Heel Metal Decoration Zipper Winter Office Mid Calf Boots
- T-JULY Women's Sneakers Breathable Woman Canvas shoes Size Spring
- Longbao 2019 Peep Toe Women s Classic Design Zipper Party shoes Spring Party Night Club shoes Woman
- Nike Mens Roshe One Red Mesh Trainers 12 US
- CYBLING Women's Classic Lace Up Block Heel Winter Short Boots Wingtip High Top Oxford shoes Ankle Booties
- Women Mid Calf Hidden High Heel Round Toe Buckle Pleated Liner Female Outdoor Waling shoes
- Elaine Turner Piper Almond Toe Platform Pumps Saddle Snake
- Reebok Work Men's Jorie RB1100 EH Athletic Safety shoes
- Clarks Women's Wave Coast Flip Flop
- Nike Womens Free Tr Flyknit 3 Low Top Lace Up Running Sneaker
- Women's Boots Autumn and Winter High Heel Boots Large Size Martin Boots Thick with Sequined Women's Boots and Single Boots Women
- ILSE JACOBSEN Women's Rub 31 Rain Boot
- RENMEN Sports Beach shoes River Diving Antiskid Swimming shoes Treadmill shoes Barefoot Patchwork Breathable Soft shoes 35-46, Dark grey
- INMONARCH Mens Burgandy Ethnic Wedding shoes MJ0134
- Tiger Lily Teva Women's W Sanborn Universal Sandal
- San hojas Loafers Flat Spring Style Casual shoes for Students Black
- 10Code Men's Medieval shoes Front Laced Ankle High Leather Boots
- New Balance Men's shoes, Colour Grey, Brand, Model Men's shoes WS574 PMD Grey
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Cut Loose Slip-On Loafer
- Aiweijia Ladies Sandals Open Toe Cutout Low Heel Wedge shoes with Front Zipper
- Artfaerie Women's Faux Fur Lined Winter Warm Ankle Boots with Zip Platform High Heel Glitter shoes
- In The Autumn and Winter Commute with The Goblet, The Big Barrel, The Big Lady, The Knight Boots
- Wuixkas Camouflage Army Womens Lightweight Mesh Sneakers Cute Sports shoes
- AnMengXinLing Fashion Heels Pumps Women Pointed Toe Ankle Buckle Strap Genuine Leather Evening Party Dress Sandals shoes
- Giant Sour Watermelon Womans Printing Running shoes Jogger Gift
- Silvia Diaz Fashion shoes Ankle Strap High Heels Garnet and Black
- Keds Women's Cali II Canvas Sneakers Navy
- SHOWADAY Women's Ankle Boots Thick Heel Drawstring Faux Suede Bootie
- TAAVETTI Men's Formal Brown Handmade Leather Pin fire Derby shoes
- Men's Casual shoes Leather Vintage shoes Lace-up Deck shoes 2018 Fashion Walking Office Daily YAN
- Men's Leather Hollow Men's shoes Breathable Leather shoes Casual Peas shoes (color White, Size 42)
- Women's Ankle Boots Suede Winter Warm Snow Boots Fashion Martin Boots Winter Booties Invisible Heightening Boots (color B, Size 36)
- Taupe Imsu Cambridge Select Women's Classic Ruched Slouch Low Heel Knee-High Boot
- Easy Spirit Womens Daimiel Flat Sandals
- Wolverine 1000 Mile Men's Wilton Chukka Boots Taupe
- DANDANJIE New Hiking Running Casual shoes Mountaineer shoes Men's Anti-Slip Wearable Stretchy Performance Leisure Sports Stylish Low-Top Sneakers
- Men's Leisure Sandals Metal Buckle Flip Non-Slip Slippers Outdoor Lightweight Breathable Beach shoes
- Nike Men's Tessen Fitness shoes
- Propet Men's Sanford Walking shoes Black
- Men's Pointed Leather shoes 2018 Spring Fall Winter Fashion Genuine Leather Breathable Tide shoes Host Wedding shoes Night Club Mens Formal shoes (color Black, Size 43)
- Gcanwea Women's Pointed Toe High Heel Ankle Strap D'Orsay shoes Buttons Fashion Comfortable Sexy Breathable Ladies Dress Elegant Simple Summer Skinny Pink 6.5 M US shoes
- WM & MW Summer Womens shoes Flock Buckle Strap Sandals Open Toe Casual Party shoes Square Heel Sandals
- Yellow Box Womens Attwell Flat Sandal
- WeenFashion Women's Closed Kitten-Heels Imitated Suede Solid Buckle Sandals, CA18LA03383
- CYBLING Womens Student Athletic Sport shoes for Running Outdoor Exercise Breathable Comfort Sneaker
- Europe and The United States Transparent Word with Sandals shoes Thick with Crystal Back Zipper Women's Sandals,Beige,37
- Charles by Charles David Womens Fickle Mule
- Women's White Mountain, Brilliant Thong Sandal NAVY 11 M
- Garyline Rounded Toe Evening Platform Pump Wedding Platform Stiletto Bridesmaid High Heel
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Pointed Stiletto Closure High Heels Sexy Vintage Suede Studded shoes For Wedding Party Formal Occasions (9Cm)Tim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Pleaser Women's Swan-657 BS Ankle-Strap Sandal Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Sunlome Pink and Green Mandala Flower Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder BagsSunlome Sports Baseball Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder Bags
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Sunlome Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Santa Claus Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder BagsSunlome Sea Mermaid with Ghost Ship at Sunset Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder Bags
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Sunlome Magical Unicorn Forest Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder BagsSunlome Cat and Dog Jumping The Sunset Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder Bags
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Sunlome Madala Hippy Print Women's Leather Tote Shoulder Bags Handbags
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Vitalo Womens Platform Stiletto Mules Peep Toe High Heeled Slides Sandals
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Sunlome Cat Dog Rainbow Paws Footprints Print Women's Leather Tote Shoulder Bags Handbags, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.