Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AllhqFashion Women's PU Solid Kitten-Heels Pull-On Closed-Toe Pumps-shoes, Black, 34. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- ELFY Womens Mid Calf Slouch Boots High Heel Platform Cowboy Western Boots Ladies Sexy Heeled BootsBeautyOriginal Women's lace up Chunky Stacked Heel Ankle Bootiereading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Sianaoi Cute Cat Warm Boots Women Family Christmas Cotton Winter shoes Women Boot
- Wine Red CAMSSOO Women's Flat Chelsea Boots Walking Boots for Women Elastic Waterproof Round Toe Ankle Boots
- Lindarry Ankle Strap Sandals for Women Stiletto High Heeled Pumps for Ladies Pointed Side Cut Out Faux Suede Fashion (color Nude, Size 11 M US)
- Women Platform Slip On Comfort Loafers Sneakers Driving shoes
- Women's Fashion Lightweight Sneakers shoes Flamingo Red Pink Original Basketball shoes
- AmoonyFashion Women's Hook-and-Loop Open Toe Pu Solid Sandals, BUSLS004742
- I Need-You Autumn Women Slippers Flock Bowtie Female Mules Fashion Low Heels shoes Pointed Toe Plus Size Elegant Woman Slipper,Sky bluee,5
- Spring Martin Boots Men's Boots Men Couple Boots Tendon At The End High To Help Tooling Boots
- Camel active Men's University 20 Derbys
- Skechers Men's Molton-GAVERO Chelsea Boot, BRN, 6H Medium US
- QianQianStore Slippers Single High Heels Women Transparent Perspex Slippers shoes Heel Clear Sandals
- Donald J Pliner Womens Shaye Sport Sandal
- Women's Leather Closed Toe Outdoor Casual Sport Sandal,White,8MUS
- The Fix Womens Francesca Slip-On Loafer with Large Jewels Loafer
- Geox Women's D Avery C Casual Sport Moccasins
- BomKinta Women's Snow Boots Water Resistant Surface Anti-Slip Soft Sole Warm Fur Lined Winter Ankle Booties
- Skechers for Work Men's 77036 Hobbes Oxford
- Fly London Womens Yuca839fly Pump
- Easy Spirit Nadette Women US 6.5 Brown Knee High Boot
- Manebí Woman's Hamptons Suede bluee and Jute Espadrilla Sneaker
- black Giardini Women's A806322D100 Black Leather Ankle Boots
- Iron Age Men's Ia5300 Board Rage Industrial & Construction shoes
- Fila Men's Classic Canvas Navy Fashion Sneakers 8 M
- New Balance MD500v6 Running Spike - SS19
- RYN Trekking shoes Trail red Grey - Waterproof by Sympatex
- Race bluee-Peacoat ASICS Men's Gel-Cumulus 20 Running shoes 1011A008
- Ladies Flip Flop Flash Home Slides Women shoes Beach Sandals Females Crystal Flip Flop
- Blossom Caroline 3 Women's Platform Sparkled Heel
- Skull With Bueaty Flowers Womens Navy Canvas Sneakers Low Top Lightweight Athletic Sneakers For Women's
- AmoonyFashion Womens Closed Round Toe PU Frost PU Solid Boots with Heighten Inside and Metalornament, Black, 7.5 B(M) US
- Yonex STFR-S15 Men`s Power Cushion Fusion Rev Tennis shoes Black and Sky bluee
- WeenFashion Womens Round Closed Toe Kitten Heels PU Frosted Solid Boots with Buckle
- Marc Fisher Enizia Pink Sandals shoes Womens Size 8.5
- Fila Memory Faction 2 Ladies Athletic Sneakers
- Woman Lace Up Fur Winter shoes Fashion Simple Short Boots Ladies Footwear Small Fellow Highten Increasing Joker Fashion Comfortable Skinny for Women Platform Ankle Heels Brown 7 M US Short Boots
- Meiguiyuan 2019 Women Pumps shoes High Heels Office & Career Classic Autumn Women shoes
- Nine Seven Women's Suede Leather Pointed Toe Chunky Heel Mule Handmade Glossy and Comfortable Spring Summer Sandal shoes
- Women's Fishnet Tip High Heels Single shoes Girl Elegant Dress Sandals
- Nevados Mens Mesa Mid Hiking Boot
- Lucky Brand Womens Riddick Riding Boot
- Men's Dress shoes Leather Loafer Square-Toe Slip On
- Men Women Casual Breathable Lightweight Trail shoes Human Race Fashion Sneaker
- El Naturalista - Zumaia - N5251plome
- ASICS Unisex Adults' California 78 Ex Low-Top Sneakers
- Kick Footwear - Mens Flat Black Platform Teddy BOY LACE UP Goth Punk Creepers shoes Boots Size - UK 8 EU 42, Red
- Men's flip Flops Summer Sandals Light Weight Classic surf Unisex Thong Slippers Casual Non-Slip Beach shoes Trend Large Size
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,BeautyOriginal Women's Slip On Flats Pointy Toe Buckle Decor Patent Leather Wedding Ballet shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Excellent.c Professional Women's shoes, Comfortable Flat shoes, Casual Sandals Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Set adil Womens Foldable Soft Pointed Toe Ballet Flats Rhinestone Comfort Slip on Flat shoespink town Women's Elegant Versatile Tone Black Ankle Strap Stiletto Pumps Party shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.pink town Women's Retro Clear Sandals - Block High Heels Lace up - Slip on Mules shoesWestCoast Regain Women's Print Single Strap Soft Sole Comfort Slippers shoes Slide Sandals
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Rongzhi Womens Knee High Boots Stilettos Pumps Heels Zip Motorcycle Pointed Toe Pendant Knight BootsBig Size Sexy Pumps Wedding Women Fetish shoes Concise Woman Pumps High Heel Pumps
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Rhinestone Chromatic color Pointed High Heel shoes Sandals white 40
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Women Swing Shake Platform Running shoes Breathable Fitness Training shoes Running Sneakers
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Franco Sarto Women's SAMANTA2 Mule, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.