Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Grape Leaf White Summer Sneaker Ecco Men's Soft 7 Sneaker. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Dark Tan Clarks Women's Maypearl purple Knee High Bootsbluee Depths Navy Blazer Lime Punch SALOMON Men's Xa Pro 3D Trail Runnerreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
- Arche Women's Egzy in Granat Nubuck - Burgundy - Size 38 M
- Highgrove Hummingbird Ted Baker Women's Hallden Pump
- Women's Summer Sandals Large Size Female
- Super explosion Women's Charleen Classic Fashion Closed Toe High Heel Dress Pumps for Wedding
- JIALUN-shoes Oxford for Men Fashion Casual Firm color Height Increasing Insole Schematic shoes(Conventional Optional)
- Fred Perry Unisex Adults' Barson Suede Sneaker
- Men's Oxford shoes Soft Non-Slip Casual Driving shoes Leather
- Spring Step Mens Phenomenal Sneaker
- Nike Jordan Jasmine GG Girls Lifestyle Sneakers New Wolf Grey Purple Dusk -
- Wallhewb Women's Comfort Chunky Mid Heel Ankle Strap D'Orsay shoes Sweet Elegant Joker No Griding Feet Girls Skinny Dress Rubber Sole Pink 8 M US shoes
- PLAN B High Top LED shoes Light up USB Charging Flashing Sneakers for Women Men-(White-11 B(M) US Women 8.5 D(M) USmen)
- Gracosy Slide Sandals, Women Leather Flat Sandal Slip On Flip Flop shoes Flower Splicing Platform Sandals
- AmoonyFashion Women's Soft Material Zipper Pointed Closed Toe Low-Heels Low-top Boots
- Gerry Weber - Lena 21 - G39241VL90370
- Chooka Women's Classic Memory Foam Rain Duck, Olive, 6 M US
- Fmeida Womens Handbag Leather Tote Satchel Bag Female Top Handle Bag
- MIA Womens pinkbud-s Ankle Bootie
- Caterpillar Women's Lyrical Sneaker Beige
- Rampage Womens Imelda Leather Round Toe Knee High Riding Boots
- Marc Fisher Womens Balia Heeled Sandal
- ASICS Gel Hyper Tri 3 Women's Running shoes - SS17
- Jessica Simpson Womens Joselle Open Toe Special Occasion Ankle, Black, Size 6.0
- Georgia Boot Men's Giant G6374 Work Boot
- Walking Outdoor Sandals Men, Summer Pool shoes Waterproof Leather Beach Sport Sand Lightweight Non-Slip Black Brown 5-12.5
- pink Sperry Women's A O Venice Canvas Flip Flops
- WANGFANG Sandals Women's Half Slippers, Summer Wild Baotou High Heel Slippers Pointed shoes, White Black (color White, Size US8 EU39 UK6 MX5.5 CN39)
- Jiang-ZX Men's shoes，Tide Men's shoes Korean shoes
- Converse Women’s Damen Chuck Taylor All Star C551628 Hi-Top Sneakers
- Y-H Men's Hiking shoes, Leather Fall Winter Outdoor Casual Running shoes Climbing Sneakers, Rubber Sole, Slip-Ons Travel shoes (color Red brown, Size 43)
- WDDGPZYDX Spring and autumn Men's Casual shoes Fashion Style Mesh shoes For Men Casual shoes size36-46
- Not Rated Womens Yoko Riding Boot
- Circus by Sam Edelman Womens Ruby Wedge Sandal
- Very Volatile Women's Summa Dress Sandal
- Cute Cockatiels Pattern Women's Lightweight Mesh Sneakers Cool Running shoes
- Miim Fiona-03 Women's Stylish Lace-Up Fringe Oxford Casual shoes
- GUESS Womens Matrix2 Fabric Low Top Lace Up Fashion Sneakers
- Rasolli Women's Professional Closed Back Clogs, Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Black, black-black Mens Nike Air Jordan 23 7 Fleece SweatpantsTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Wine Harley-Davidson Women's Lomita Motorcycle Boot, Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Navy Knit Nubuck Johnston & Murphy Men's Mcguffey Plain Toe Fashion Sneakerbluee Nightlife Black Brooks Men's Adrenaline GTS 19 B Width Running shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Morel Knit Black Cole Haan Mens 2.Zerogrand Stitchlite Chukka Water Resistant Chukka BootSliver, sliver adidas Performance Men's Ultra Boost M Running shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Brown Red Danner Men's Mountain 600 4.5 Hiking Boot- Nike AIR MAX 90 1 - AJ7695-103
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Footwear White Bold bluee Footwear White Adidas Mens Predator 19.1 FG Soccer
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
- Giorgio Armani Collezioni Men's Leather Derby Brogue Oxford Dress shoes Brown
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Black Charles David Womens Parish Pump, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.