Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Mahogany Chocolate Palladium Mens Pampa Sport Cuff WPS Rain Boot. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Grey Castle Rock New Balance Men's 990v4White Ted Baker Mens Quana Quana Sneakerreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
pink .Hogan Women Active one Sneakers pink
- Fuchsia Loeffler Randall Womens Juno (Lamé) Pump
- DoraTasia Women's Sweet Patent Leather Ankle Strap with Pearl Pendant Buckle Party Show Dress Pumps
- Fancyww Woman Linen Printing Fisherman shoes
- Nafanio Women Home Boots Slippers Winter Warm Indoor Floor Bathroom Plush House Fur Comfortable Slip on Women shoes
- pink town High Heel Stiletto Open Toe Dress Sandals Ankle Strap
- Ausland Women's Zipping Mid-Calf Snow Boots Fur Trim Winter Snow Boots 7628
- Palladium PLDM Gaetane TWL Cayenne
- Women Rise & Grind Womens Casual shoes
- AIWEIYi Womens Pearl Chains Chunky Heel Dress Pump Mary Janes shoes Pink
- John Deere Men's 11-Inch FR Steel Toe XRD Met Work Boot
- Women's Booties, Black High Tube Bare Boots Fashion Boots Ladies Wedge Lace-up Fall Winter Martin Boots (color A, Size 38)
- Summer Breathable Ankle Socks shoes Women Casual Elasticity Wedge Platform Sneakers
- Polar Womens Nylon Cold Weather Outdoor Snow Duck Winter Rain Lace Boot - 9 - GRE40 YC0136
- PUMA Womens Suede Platform Lunar Lux Wn Sneaker
- KIIU Mens Thong Sandals Indoor and Outdoor Beach Flip Flop Brown, 40
- Lacoste Mens L.12.12 317 3 Sneaker
- Imagine Vince Camuto Women's Masonie Black M
- Adidas - Stan Smith Adicolor
- K1X Meet The Parents Light Weight Slate Black
- Silver Street Milton shoes Tan
- 3 JaHGDU Women 's Home Cotton Slippers Indoor Keep Warm Casual Slippers bluee Pink orange Mixed color Personality Quality for Women
- CHENSF Women's Classic Fashion Pointed high Heels
- Joma Men's's Ace Tennis shoes
- Men's British style Plus velvet Non-slip High help Casual shoes Breathable Collision Toe cap Single booties
- White LOVDRAM Men's shoes And Winter New Leather White shoes Men'S Casual shoes Fashion Men'S shoes Low Cut Sports
- Soda Mermaid-S Women's Open Toe Criss Cross Sandals
- Tuya Women's Trendy Fashion Backpack Vegan Leather Bag
- Treasures Vintage Elephants Women's Camping Sports Running shoes Funny Mini
- Vivona 3 Or 4pcs Dot Pattern Paint Printing Cotton Blend Bedding Sets Twin Full Queen Size - (Size Twin Size)
- Skechers Women's Go Walk Outdoors Passage Ankle-High Backpacking Boot
- Jeff Tribble Tassel Women Sandals High Heels Summer shoes 2018 Fashion Plus Size 41 42 43
- Go to Past Women's Genuine Leather Flat lace-up Ankle Boots Flower Decoration Vintage Round Casual shoes Side Zipper Non-Slip Platform Boots
- T-JULY Platform Elegant Women shoes Square High Heels Date Party Sandals shoes
- Top Shishang Spring and Autumn Women's Sexy Stretch Knees with Knight Boots Zipper High Martin Boots
- Sdxgsfdhgdf Comfortable Men's Casual shoes, Non-Slip Oxford shoes, Low-top Casual shoes, Round Head, Breathable and Comfortable, wear-Resistant Soles Convenient
- Delta Plus Miami S2 White Microfibre Slip On Steel Toe Safety Sneakers Trainers (US 3)
- Adidas NMD_R1 Primeknit Men's shoes Core Black Cloud White Aero Green bb7996 (11 D(M) US)
- Kamik Womens Shawna Snow Boot
- Navy Skechers Womens Parallel-Dream Queen - Caged Open Toe Sandal Wedge Sandal
- Reebok Men's Royal Heredis Walking shoes, Black Black, 5.5 M US
- BRUNO PREMI women's shoes sandals with heel BW3503P BLACK size 36 Black
- Adidas Athletics 24 7 Tr M Cross Trainer
- ZYFXZ Work shoes Safety shoes, lightweight and comfortable casual shoes rubber soles for men and women steel toe caps and steel plate anti-puncture safety shoes four seasons shoes safety shoes
- Geox Ravex Men's Low Sneaker bluee
- BCBGeneration Eileen Knee High Boot
- Propet Men's Benson Casual shoes, Brown, 13 M US
- GIY Womens Bowknot Slides Wedge Sandals Summer Beach Slip on Platform Wedges Sandals Flip Flops
- BOLUOYI 2019 High Heels for Women Women's Fashion Casual Solid Buckle Strap Square Heel Sandals Med Heel shoes Sandals Womens Heel Wedge
- AIYOUMEI Women's Side Zipper Pointed Toe Stilettos Autumn Winter Short Boots with Lace
- Womens's shoes Spring Fall New Cotton Canvas shoes Rounded Toe Low-Top Handmade Embroidery shoes National Wind Lace-up shoes Linen Soles for Beach
- Wuixkas Hand Drawn Doodle Feathers Womens Canvas Upper Sneakers Lace up Cute Fashion Loafer Canvas shoes
- Dormery Winter Women Boots Stretch Slim Thigh High Boots Fashion Over The Knee Boots High Heels shoes Woman Sapatos
- Getmine Women's Professional Latin Dance shoes Satin Salsa Ballroom Wedding Dancing shoes 2.4'' Heel
- AnMengXinLing Heeled Sandals Women Ankle Straps Platform Open Toe Stilettos Dress Pumps Black Wedding Party Evening Business shoes
- Women PVC Slippers Leopard Print Heels Slides Pointy Toe Stiletto Summer Female Outdoor shoes
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Black Frye Womens Gia Moto High SneakerTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Copper Rough & Tough Red Wing Heritage Men's Weekender Chukka Boot Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:purplec Frye Women's Veronica Combat Ankle BootDark Grey Smooth Vintage Leather Frye Women's Jayden Button Tall Shaft Boot
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Bordo Bruno Magli Mens Nevil OxfordCollegiate Navy Vivid Red Adidas Men's Ultraboost LTD Running shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Black Formula One Hoka One One Men's M Bondi 5 Running shoesKhaki Green Bucksoft Grey Magic Mephisto Women's Rebeca Sneakers
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Morel Knit Black Cole Haan Mens 2.Zerogrand Stitchlite Ox Water Resistant Oxford
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
- BUTTERO Men's B4006TOSCH02 White Leather Sneakers
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Wine Extended Calf Frye Womens Melissa Button 2 Riding Boot, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.