Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Brown Danner Men's Light II Outdoor Boot. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Black Suede Pelle Moda Womens Ojai- Nike AIR Jordan 11 Retro Low LE 'Snakeskin' - CD6846-102reading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
- GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI DESIGN Women's RW70001001 Black Leather Sneakers
- Dark Brown Burnished Allen Edmonds Men's Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxford
- Statue Of Liberty Football High Top Classic Casual Canvas Fashion shoes Sneakers For Women & Men
- Beautiful - Fashion Women's Mid-Calf Boots Round Toe Winter Boots Buckle Strap Low Heels Warm Plush Platform Soft Slouchy Riding Boots
- WeenFashion Women's Solid Soft Material Low Heels Buckle Closed Toe Sandals
- Delicious Surrell S Women's Open Toe Gladiator Double Buckle Heel
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Starry Night Van Gogh Oil Painting Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- ASICS Gel-Game 7 Tennis shoes - SS19
- Clarks Coling Step Formal Slip-On shoes Men Wide-Fit UK-11 EU-46 H
- Nike Men's Air Max Trainer 1 shoes
- MIKA HOM Girls Boots Ankle Fashion Boots Princess Party shoes
- Step n Style Women gold Hand Embroided Bridal Slip-On's
- GIY Women's Winter Ankle-High Waterproof Snow Boots Fashion Punk Lace-up Low Heel Short Combat Motorcycle Martin Boots
- Woman High Heels Ankle Zip Square Heel Round Toe Boots Fashion Warm Winter Women's shoes
- Wilbur gold Womens Wedges Sandals High Heels Sandals Women Sandalias silverforma Plus Size
- Katy Perry Womens The Chrissie Pump
- IODSON 928 Ultralight Combat Boots, Men's Tactical Military Boot Footwear, Desert Ankle Army shoes with Side Zipper
- Altama Original Footwear's 85506 Waterproof Goretex Temperate Weather Combat Boot
- Leather Men's shoes Set Foot shoes Men's Peas shoes Casual shoes (color Yellow, Size 41)
- Fiesso Men's Genuine Suede Leather gold Rhinestones Italian Design Slip-On Loafer shoes FI6968
- Circle G Women's Crackle Embroidered Cowgirl Boot Snip Toe - L5048
- Lavgold Unisex-Adult 090 ESD Safety shoes 1059.4 Black 6 UK, 39 EU - EN safety certified
- Shukun Men's boots Winter Martin Boots Men'S Non-Slip Boots Warm Cotton Thick Warm Cotton shoes Men High To Help Snow Boots
- Vans SK8-Hi Classic Unisex-Adults Hi Top Lace-up Sneaker, Black (Black White)
- Adidas Men's Alphabounce em CTD Running shoes
- Olive Imsu Cambridge Select Women's Classic Western Chunky Stacked Low Heel Ankle Bootie
- WYMBS Women's shoes Round Head Martin Boots Autumn Winter Short Boots
- Robert Westbrook Women Wedding High Heels colorful Butterfly Heeled Sandals Pumps Bow Patry shoes Woman Bridal Pumps
- Reebok Women's Astroride Walk Walking shoes
- Chaqlin Autumn Winter Casual shoes Women Platform Body Healthy Shaping Fitness shoes for Ladies US 10
- - Colmar Travis Tones 005 Dark Grey Navy
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Cute Universal Raccoon Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- WeiPoot Womens Round Closed Toe High Heels PU Solid Boots with Stiletto and Leopard Pattern, Black, 10 B(M) US
- UKRIS Women's Lightweight Yoga Slingback Flip Flop(6 US 38,Grey)
- PUMA Womens Defy WN's X Sg Sneaker
- Cici shoes Women's Hiker Leather Waterproof Hiking Boot Outdoor Backpacking shoes
- Pumps shoes Slip On High Heels Flowers Party shoes For Woman Stilettos
- Skechers Women's Meditation - Daisy Delight Flat Sandals
- Joules Women's Pop On Welly Clogs
- Couple Athletic Sneakers Fall Cushioning Breathable High Top Basketball shoes
- Marina Rinaldi Women's Ladino Metallic Toe Flats
- Nike Roshe LD-1000 Premium QS Men's Sneaker Black 842564 001
- Kaitzen Women's Sandals shoes Peep Toe Retro Buckle Flowers Red Fashion High Heels Stiletto Court Boots Fashion Pump Evening Party
- Sebago Men's Nantucket Classic Loafer
- Nike SB Check Mens Trainers 705265 Sneakers shoes (UK 6 US 6.5 EU 39, Obsidian White 411)
- NBWE Men's Pointed Embroidered shoes Loafers British Style Casual shoes
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Black Stretch Leather BCBGMAXAZRIA Womens Bea Over The Knee Boot Over The Knee BootTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Black Hunter Women's Original Tall Wide Leg Rain Boots Navy Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:- Nike Blazer MID '77 VNTG - BQ6806-400Fuchsia Leather Rebecca Minkoff Women's Capriana D'Orsay Sandals
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.bluee Miz Mooz Women's Chantelle Heels in BlackCamel Sportbuck Mephisto Mens Douk Rain shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Brushed Smoke Metallic Paul Green Women's Willow SandalMulticolour Y-3 Man's Byw Bball Red Neoprene and Black Suede Sneaker
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Platinum Velveteen Stuart Weitzman Womens Leather Open Toe Casual Ankle Strap Sandals
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
- Baldinini 2325 Red Leather 0.5 Heel Designer Women Sandals
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Vintage Leather Harness & Chain Roper Womens Selah Western Boot, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.