Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Taupe Pu Cambridge Select Women's Vintage Inspired Pinup Eyelet Cutout Mary Jane Mid Heel Pump. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Doe Taryn pink Womens Kristine Loafer FlatBlack Neymar Leather Sam Edelman Womens Prina Knee High Bootreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Black Bruno Magli Mens Forest Oxford
- Black Grey Two White adidas Originals Men's
- Women Pumps Platform Suede shoes Women Ankle Strap Thick Heeled Ladies shoes
- Artfaerie Womens Low Heel Kitten Pointed Toe Pumps with Bows Slip on Dress Court shoes
- Feenfling Cute Cactus Pattern Womens Printed Slip on Low Top Canvas Athletic Sneakers
- shoes women Chunky High Heels Summer shoes Women Sandals Pumps Ladies
- AllhqFashion Women's Low-Heels Solid Pull-On PU Round Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- LVYING Womens Warm Boots Super High Square Heel Metal Decoration Zipper Winter Office Mid Calf Boots
- T-JULY Women's Sneakers Breathable Woman Canvas shoes Size Spring
- Longbao 2019 Peep Toe Women s Classic Design Zipper Party shoes Spring Party Night Club shoes Woman
- Nike Mens Roshe One Red Mesh Trainers 12 US
- AdeeSu Womens Nubuck High-Heels Solid Urethane Boots SXE04384
- Jiang Womens's shoes Breathable Light Soles shoes Solid color Lace-up Athletic Mesh High-Top Casual shoes Flat Heel Round Toe Closed Toe Sneakers
- Men 's Home Cotton Slippers Indoor Stripe Brown Keep Warm Casual Slippers Mixed color Personality Quality Large for Men
- Franco Sarto Womens Vanity Pump
- Frye Men's Ludlow Low Sneaker bluee 11 M
- Aldo Women's Aravia Ankle Bootie
- KRAZY SHOE ARTISTS Wow in White Men's Loafers,
- Aldo Womens Ravaldino Ankle Bootie
- BBTK Driving Loafer Men Boat Moccasins OX Leather Fashion Round Toe Pure colors (color Black, Size 10 UK)
- Lotto Crossride 500 Iv, Men’s Crossride 50 Iv
- Black Teva Women's Verra Sandal
- Summer and Autumn Canvas shoes Burr Flats Wild Breathable Casual shoes
- DZX Men's Winter Outdoor Hiking shoes Warm High Waist Anti-Skiing Boots,Fur Lined Walking Boots For Camping,Trekking And Ski,Black-39
- Cofra 11600-000.W46 shoes, Lussack , Size 11, Black - EN safety certified
- Rocky Men's RKK0210 Construction Boot
- BESSKY Women's Fashion Couples colorful Casual Mens Sport Outdoor Board shoes Sneakers
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Women's Aimee
- Lian Hanfu shoes Heel Embroidered shoes High Heel Spring and Summer New Canvas Embroidered Tea Women's shoes
- FEWW11 Women Fashion Lightweight shoes Sneakers Freshly Baked Pizza White Backdrop Canvas Upper Sport Lace-Up
- Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Stiletto Court shoes Slip On High Heel Party Pumps
- AdeeSu Womens Chunky Heels Pointed-Toe Microfiber Boots SXC03852
- JOYBI Women Summer Flats Gladiator Sandals Crystal Rhinestone Chain Non Slip Ladies Beach Casual Thong Flip Flops
- PUMA Womens Fierce Rope Trainers High Top Athletic shoes
- Fashion Sandals, High Heels Open Toe Sandals Block Heel Stiletto Pumps Sandals Waterproof Platform Ankle Strap Buckle Pearl Round Head Non-Slip Party Wedding Women's shoes
- Sandals Outdoor Flip-Flops Summer Fisherman Beach Leather Casual Style Leather Sandals Soft Non-Slip Beach shoes (color Black, Size 9.5 D(M) US)
- Sam Carle Men's Daily Oxfords Breathable Casual Driving shoes
- Men's shoes Leather Spring Summer Fall Comfort Formal Business shoes Black Burgundy Party & Evening British Style High-end shoes (color A, Size 37)
- Earth Spirit Cici Women's Fashion Ballet Flat shoes Black
- Black Houndstooth Dansko Women's Professional Clog
- Badgley Mischka Womens Fame Pump
- Alegria Paloma Black Embossed pink 37 W
- Ladies Smart Safety shoes - Size 8
- Men's Summer Sandals Sandals Slip Open Toe Sandals Casual Sandals
- GCH Summer sandals casual leather men's sandals
- Vagabond Men's Colin Slip On Trainers
- Premium Goodyear Welted Mens Tan Leather Chelsea Boots 162T
- Goodtrade8 Boho Rivet High Heel Sandal for Women, Open Toe Ankle Strap Buckle Sandal Flat Summer Black
- Womens Latin Dance Evening Ballroom shoes Tango Cha-cha Salsa Ankle Straps 0022
- WANabcMAN Comfortable Women's Suede Pointy Stiletto High Heels Party Pumps Weeding shoes pink37 M EU
- Rampage Women's Trival Ankle Boot
- 1TO9 Womens Bucket-Style Platform Nubuck Urethane Boots MNS03062
- AmoonyFashion Women's Soft Material Closed Round Toe Solid Low-top High Heels Boots
- Skechers Womens Go Run 600-15060 Walking shoes
- FAY WATERS Womens Vintage Warm Mid Calf Boots Fur High Heel Round Toe Winter Party Snow Booties
- Exing Women's shoes Wedge Heel Waterproof Sandals Casual Hollow Ankle Straps Light Soles Ladies shoes for Office & Career Dress
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Night Cargo Green Black Cq1954 Adidas Originals Men's Primeknit NMD_R1 Running shoes (Black)Tim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Cbluee Cgrey Cwhite Adidas Originals Men's Primeknit NMD_R1 Running shoes (Black) Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Black Lycra Suede Cole Haan Womens Studiogrand Freedom Sneaker Sneakerbluee silver ARA Women's Leather Clogs & Mules
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Camel Pu Cambridge Select Women's Open Toe Chunky Platform Wedge SandalDark Brown Suede Clarks Men's Gilman Mid
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Dark Taupe Donald J Pliner Womens Dre-ks Ballet FlatD Khaki Womens Peep Toe Cutout Sandals Side Zipper Chunky Low Heel Booties Ankle Heels
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Dark Roast Tan Cole Haan Men's Grandpro Tennis Tennis shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Black Frye Women's Jayden Button Tall Shaft Boot
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Black Textile Ted Baker Mens Surlif Sneaker, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.