Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Red01 Ezkrwxn Women Athletic Walking shoes Sock Fashion Sneakers Flyknit Breathable Comfort Slip on Sports Trail Running shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Black High Heel and Knee Boots, Waterproof Platform Round Head High Boots Side Zipper Satin Non-Slip Warm Knight Boots Suitable for Parties, Shopping, Dating Women's shoesRed Nike 5 Inch Race Day Running Shortsreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Rust Wolverine Original 1000 Mile Boot
- Adidas Pretereo III Men's Wrestling shoes, Grey gold White, Size 9
- Adidas Originals Superstar 80s 3D MT W Women's Sneaker White BB2034, Size 41 1 3
- Redskins Men’s Solami Hi-Top Trainers
- Nike Boys'' Stasis ACG (Gs) Fitness shoes
- shoes Men's Genuine Leather shoes Crocodile Skin Texture Upper Lace Up Breathable Business Modern Lined Oxfords Leather shoes
- Deakins MENS BOOTS NICHOLAS HESTAN LEATHER BOOTS IN RED BROWN COLOUR
- YAJIE-Boots, Men's Casual Boots, Winter Personality Winter Fleece Inside High Top Lace Up Big Size Boot(Conventional Optional) (color Warm Black, Size 5 UK)
- Tan Cambridge Select Women's Open Toe Slingback Chunky Stacked Block Heel Sandal
- Summer 11cm High Heels Open Toe Strap Sandals Lady Pumps Female Green Dress Sandals Stiletto Platform shoes YQS-10
- Women's Laced Low-top Flat shoes Personalized Letters Wild Canvas shoes
- Women's pointed velvet elegant party low shoes high heels
- Mumeson Stylish Animal Print Platform Sneakers Fitness Walking shoes for Women
- Sammitop Women's Peep Toe High Heel Pumps Ladies Elegant 12cm Spike Stilettos Cute Dress shoes
- Zarbrina Womens Fur Lined Flat Platform Ankle Boots Casual Soft Rubber Sole Round Toe Short Plush Slip On Winter Warm Snow shoes
- ERSER Cute Penguins Trail Running shoes Women Stability
- Sexy high Heels Red Graffiti colorful Stiletto Women Pumps Wedding shoes
- Fheaven Stiletto Heel Dress Sandal Women's Sexy Snake Skin Pattern shoes Lace-Up High Heel Sandals Non-Slip (6.5, Black)
- Clarks Womens Petrina Gail Platform
- Giro Rumble Vr MTB shoes Dress bluee Gum 46
- MUMUWU Summer Fashion Sandals Dual Use Men Flat Heel Slip On Switch Backless Strap Black Sandals Beach Outdoor Sports
- Toto - H32161-2.2 Inches Taller - Size 10 D US - Height Increasing Elevator shoes (Black Leather Slip-on Moc-toe Super Lightweight Casual shoes)
- Antelope Women's 385 Suede Met Loafer Flatform
- HUAN Men's shoes Leather Spring Fall Formal shoes for Casual Office & Career Outdoor Party & Evening Light Brown
- Mustang Women’s 1267-501-555 Hi-Top Trainers, Dark Grey
- ZHRUI Male Charming Loafers Man Massage Breathable Performing Dress shoes Casual Footware (color Brown, Size 9 UK=42 EU)
- Vans Old Skool, Men’s Low-Top Sneakers
- SELCNG Hiking shoes Unisex Walking shoes Waterproof Walking shoes Men's Walking shoes with Outdoor Sports Hiking shoes Non-Slip outsole-purple-40
- LOVDRAM Men'S Leather shoes Leather Camouflage Casual shoes Men'S Breathable Thick Floor shoes Increased Men'S shoes Casual shoes Men
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Black T-JULY Fashion Women Genuine Leather Sandals Metal Decoration Summer shoes Woman Comfort Casual Ladies shoes SlipperTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”- T-JULY Hidden Heels White Black Platform Wedges Sneakers Fitess Women shoes Lace Up Tenis Feminino Casual Basket Femme Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Black T-JULY New Women Thigh High Over The Knee Boots Autumn Winter Fashion Flock Heels Platform shoesBlack T-JULY Australia Classic Fashion Genuine Cowhide Leather Snow Boots Winter Fur Waterproof Women shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Leopard Cambridge Select Women's Low Top Lace-Up Chunky Espadrille Flatform Fashion SneakerBlack T-JULY Fashion Women Over The Knee Boots Patent Leather High Heels Large Ladies Party shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. - T-JULY Women Solid Wide Low Heels Boot Soft Zip Belt Buckle shoes Woman Casual Winter Warm Round Toe Ladies Mid Calf Bootsgold NOMIMAS Women Wedges Sneakers Platform Spring Autumn Thick Soles Casual Lace-Up Outdoors Fashion Mesh Sports shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Black Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Square Toe Flat Chunky Heel Cute Handmade Slip On Elastic Women Pumps with Lace Decors
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Dark Pink L.K. Bennett Womens Sersha Dress Pump Pump
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Black Patent Aerosoles Womens Program Pump, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.