Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Supra Women's Scissor '18 shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Glaze ShopAegis Women's Classic Comfortable Design High Heel Sandals Ankle Strap shoes PinkAmoonyFashion Women's Mid Top Buckle Frosted High Heels Round Closed Toe Bootsreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Women's Home shoes Wedge Heel Indoor Slippers Winter Warm Cute Thickening Slippers for 2019 New
- Sexy Wedges Women Super High Heels Lady Lace Up Mesh Net Casual PU Leather shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Derived Boot
- Nike Mens Blazer Mid Premium Faux Leather Fashion Sneakers Black 9 Medium (D)
- Hush Puppies Women's Heaven Slip
- Champion 93 Eighteen Repeat Mens Red Canvas Athletic Lace Up Running shoes
- Women Summer Cow Leather Fashion Crystal Gladiator Flat Sandals
- Nike MercurialX Finale II IC Mens Soccer-shoes 831974-589_-Purple Dynasty Bright Citrus
- Icebug Women's Ivalo BUGrip Studded Traction Winter Boot
- Nike Men's 844803-002 Fitness shoes, (Black Volt Anthracite Wolf Grey), 40 EU
- BND-SHOES ,Men's Fashion Ankle Boot Casual Simple And Comfortable Classic Winter Faux Fleece Inside Brogue High Top Big Size shoes(Conventional Optional) Durable,Stand Wear and Tear
- Steel Military shoes Unisex Men's Ladies Leather Red 3 Eyelets Army Punk Toe Cap
- Old West Boots Men's Short Harness Boot
- Khaki Cobb Hill Women's Aubrey Dress Pump
- Autumn shiny platform thick round head-tie at the end of the students ' shoes casual comfort flat women's shoes fashion
- Jordan Air Future Premium (2018) Black Glow
- CuteFlats Casual Loafer shoes with Chunky Heel and Large for Fashion Women
- Fashion shoesbox Womebs Iridescent Glossy PU Leather Chunky Dad Sneakers Lace-Up Shiny Ugly Platform Comfort Fitness Sport shoes
- Unm Women's Pointed Toe Short Boots with Zipper - Buckle Strap Inside Zip Up Dressy - Block High Heel Ankle Booties
- AmoonyFashion Women's Round Closed Toe Low Heels Mid Top Solid Boots with Metal Ornament
- Bestfur Beautiful Cozy Breathable Cotton Linen Soft Mute Sole House Slippers shoes for Women
- Unyielding1 Women Winter Boots Chunky Low Heel Ankle Booties Ladies Martin Boots shoes
- Charmarm White Baseball On Green Background Women Utility Low Top Canvas Walking shoes
- Sperry Women's Coil Ivy Geo Perf Boat shoes
- WeiPoot Women's Buckle Open-Toe High-Heels Pu Sandals
- Rockport Womens Caden Over The Knee Boot Slouch Boot
- MVE shoes Women's Open Toe Chunky Heel Strappy Heeled Sandal
- Nike - Mercurial Superfly Academy Neymar
- New Balance Women's 1100V1 Fresh Foam Walking shoes, Purple White, 5 D US
- - Baldinini 6624 Bronze 3 High Heel Women Italian Designer Pumps
- Lauren Lorraine Black Tavi Two Piece Evening Sandal
- Black Steel Grey KEEN Utility Womens Springfield-w Industrial Boot
- Steel Tube Dancing Female shoes Crystal Transparent shoes Women Summer High Heel 14.5Cm Peep Toe Nightclub Sandals Wedding shoes
- Xxoshoe Men’s Outdoor Mesh Low-Top Breathable Lightweight Trekking Hiking shoes
- Supra Wrap Up, Men’s Hi-Top Slippers
- Reebok Men's Floatride Run Flexweave Cross Trainers
- NIKE Men's Alpha Menace Pro Mid Football Cleat nk871451 412
- XYZJIA shoes leather shoes men's leather shoes set of low-top shoes large size shoes, brown, 44
- Oushizhaoming Lightweight and Stylish Summer Casual Garden shoes
- Roymall Men and Women's Black Mesh Boost Dance Sneaker Modern Jazz Ballroom Performance Dance-Sneakers Sports shoes,Model CMJ-FJW,8 B(M) US
- Report Womens Mixie Dress Sandal
- Owaheson Classic Canvas Slip-On Lightweight Driving shoes Soft Penny Loafers Men Women Rubber Duck Water Drops Bubbles
- Skechers D'Lites Cool Change Womens Sneakers
- T-JULY Women's Sandals Solid color Patent Leather High Heels Women's Versatile Flat Sandals Fashion Square Heel shoes
- Women's Flat Sandals, Bohemian Rhinestones Decorated Large Size Summer Outdoor shoes Casual Flip Flops,Suitable for Home, Beach, Daily Wear, Vacation
- Women's 6 Inch Silver Cone Heel Clear Mule (Clear;7)
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,AnnaKastle Womens Embellished Double Strap Mary Jane Flat shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Women Flat Sandals Clip Toe Sandals shoes Lady Genuine Leather Flip Flops Beach shoes Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Aerosoles Womens Panoramic Fashion SneakerMEIZOKEN Womens Hollow Out Sandals Comfortable Non-Slip Moccasins Breathable Closed Toe Flats Sandals
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Super color Classic Women's Casual Work Boots Waterproof and Comfortable British Style Fashion BootsFancyww Womens Shiny Short Ankle Rain Boots Rubber Waterproof Rain shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Kalra Creations Women's Traditonal Indian Faux Leather with Embroidery Casual shoesWeenFashion Womens Round Closed Toe Low Heels Xi Shi Velvet Thick Fur Solid Boots with Buckle
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Rongzhi Womens Knee High Boots Platform Super Heels Thick Pumps Party Boots Round Toe
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
T-JULY Spring Women Flat shoes Stripe Hemp Loafers shoes Female Casual Espadrilles Flats shoes Print Comfortable shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with ISNOM STYLE AGIT Women Summer High Heels Mules, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.