Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about HUANGDAISY shoes Glasses Cats Slip-on Canvas Loafer for Women. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- HUANGDAISY Merry Christmas Pattern Slip-on Microfiber Rubber Out-Sole EVA Insole shoes for WomensKarenemp shoes LED shoes High Top Men & Women Light Up shoes USB Charging Metal Velcro Flashing Sneakersreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
WeenFashion Women's Low-Top Solid Pull-On Round Closed Toe High Heels Boots
- Black Grey Two White adidas Originals Men's
- Women Pumps Platform Suede shoes Women Ankle Strap Thick Heeled Ladies shoes
- Artfaerie Womens Low Heel Kitten Pointed Toe Pumps with Bows Slip on Dress Court shoes
- Feenfling Cute Cactus Pattern Womens Printed Slip on Low Top Canvas Athletic Sneakers
- shoes women Chunky High Heels Summer shoes Women Sandals Pumps Ladies
- AllhqFashion Women's Low-Heels Solid Pull-On PU Round Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- LVYING Womens Warm Boots Super High Square Heel Metal Decoration Zipper Winter Office Mid Calf Boots
- T-JULY Women's Sneakers Breathable Woman Canvas shoes Size Spring
- Longbao 2019 Peep Toe Women s Classic Design Zipper Party shoes Spring Party Night Club shoes Woman
- Nike Mens Roshe One Red Mesh Trainers 12 US
- SITAILE Men's Snow Boots Fur Lining Winter Casual Short Boots
- DOSOMI Fur Flats Heel Over The Knee Boots Fashion Warm Women's Stretch Side Zipper Long Boots
- Knomo Jackson Briefcase, Brown, One Size
- SoftWalk Women's Napa MJ Mary Jane Flat
- Ryka Women's INFLUENCE2 Cross Trainers
- Vans Peanuts The Gang Black Classic Slip On Trainers
- GUARDIANI Fashion-Sneakers Womens Leather White
- Via Spiga Women's ALEC Dress Sandal
- WWJDXZ Spring Men's Suede Leather shoes Leisure Comfort Flats Slip-on shoes Moccasin Slippers Casual
- Loafers Spring Men's Casual shoes Lazy Peas shoes Trend Bright Embossed Flat shoes Fashion
- Dark Grey Blingbling-honored High end Real Fox Fur Slipper Women Slides Sliders Fashion Spring Summer Autumn Fluffy Fur Lady S6018
- PREtty-2 Women's shoes Genuine Leather Flat Mother shoes Woman Loafers Soft Casual shoes Women Flats
- U.S. Polo Men Sneakers shoes Brown Running Trainers
- Justin Reece Denver 2 Premium Suede Slip on Tassel Loafer Designer Look
- Florsheim Mens Midtown Waterproof Zipper Boot
- KemeKiss Outdoor Snow Boots Women Knee High Warm Boots
- After The Winter Boots high Boots lace Short Codes with Fashion Boots
- Arider Women's Ankle Bootie Closed Toe Woven Strappy Weave Criss-Cross Low Chunky Heel
- EJV-D5 Women's Sandals Flat Crisscross Bungalow Wedge Ankle Summer Sandals for Women Zipper Buckle Strap Beach shoes
- April With You Women Flip Flop Mesh Straw Weaving shoes Handmade Flat Slippers Ladies Outdoor Flip Flops
- RF ROOM OF FASHION Women's Casual Western Low Stacked Heel Side Cutout Elastic Slip On Ankle Boots
- Exing Womens's shoes Summer Net Womens Girls shoes,Wild Casual Travel shoes,Light Soles Breathable Air-Cushion Sneakers
- AmoonyFashion Women's Pull-On Kitten-Heels Patent Leather Solid Pumps-shoes,BUTDS008278
- Vans Unisex Era Star Wars Sneakers
- Vimedea Womens Sexy Supper Heeled Pumps Party Cross Dressing Oversize Platform Sandals
- Adidas Mens Predator Tango 18.3 Indoor Soccer shoes
- Imagine Vince Camuto Women's Jalen Wedge Sandal
- Nine West Women's Sappheir Bootie
- Fairy bluee Troadlop Women's Air Knitted Running shoes
- Sam Edelman Women's Carter Flat Sandal
- Ted Baker Womens Kulei Lthr Af pink gold Silver Sneaker
- Easy Go Shopping Oxford shoes For Men Formal shoes Lace Up Microfiber Leather Leisure Business shoes Cricket shoes (color Black, Size 8.5 UK)
- ZHIJINLI Casual shoes work shoes running shoes small white shoes sports shoes track and field shoes walking shoes wild sequins colorful, 38EU
- La Sportiva Unisex Adults’ Tarantulace bluee Climbing shoes
- Adidas Performance Mens Response Cushion 22 M Running shoes
- Steve Madden Men's Tazman Loafer
- Lucksender Womens Round Toe Side Zipper Hidden Heel Ankle Boots
- TAOFFEN Women's Lace Up Flatform shoes
- Kyle Walsh Pa Women Boots Winter Warm Snow Boots Soft Fur Lace-up Round Toe Comfortable Female Ankle Booties
- A&N Womens Bows No-Closure Solid Suede Flats-shoes
- Women Platform Bow High Heels Open Toe Square High Heels Pumps Summer Sandals Buckle Party shoes Female Plus Size 34-43
- Kenavinca Large Size 34-43 Warm Fashion Lace Up Knee High Boots High Heel Round Toe Platform Martin Women shoes
- Ladola Womens Firm-Ground Solid Hollow Out Urethane Pumps shoes
- Nine West Womens Yvette Patent Ballet Flat
- Women's dollar pattern over the knee boots fashion sexy ultra high heels
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Rampage Womens Jelly Winter Moto Boot GreyTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Sneakers for Women Lightweight Mamba-Basketball-Player- lace up Running shoes For Girls Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:AmoonyFashion Women's PU Pointed Closed Toe Spikes Stilettos Pull On Solid Pumps shoesCasual Sneakers for Womens Low Top Wear-Resistant Run shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Vince Camuto Fandy Womens VC-FANDY-BlackAllhqFashion Women's Pu Open-Toe High-Heels Assorted color Sandals, FBULD014203
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Womens Over Knee Riding Boots Flats Chunky Low Heel Lace up Zip up Leather Stud Booties（-）La Redoute Big Girls Timouss Wellington Boots
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:BININBOX Rome Open Toe Peep Toe Platform High Flat Heel Gladiator Sandals shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
WeenFashion Women's PU Low-top Solid Lace-up High Heels Boots
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Holy Land Market Unisex Genuine Leather Biblical Flip Flops (Jesus - Yashua) Jericho Style, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.