Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Womens 0000 Rainforest Boots, Ladies High Adjustable Outdoor Waterproof Hunting Zip Thigh Over Knee Long Boot. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Women 2018 Fashion Sandals Summer Casual Jelly shoes Sandals Hollow Out Mesh FlatsGIY Pool Slides Sandals for Women, Platform Comfort Soft Anti-Slip Embellishment Flat Summer Beach Slipperreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
DecoStain Women's Elegant and Geblackus Charismatic Knee Boots Comfortable Fashion Boots shoes
- Fuchsia Loeffler Randall Womens Juno (Lamé) Pump
- DoraTasia Women's Sweet Patent Leather Ankle Strap with Pearl Pendant Buckle Party Show Dress Pumps
- Fancyww Woman Linen Printing Fisherman shoes
- Nafanio Women Home Boots Slippers Winter Warm Indoor Floor Bathroom Plush House Fur Comfortable Slip on Women shoes
- pink town High Heel Stiletto Open Toe Dress Sandals Ankle Strap
- Ausland Women's Zipping Mid-Calf Snow Boots Fur Trim Winter Snow Boots 7628
- Palladium PLDM Gaetane TWL Cayenne
- Women Rise & Grind Womens Casual shoes
- AIWEIYi Womens Pearl Chains Chunky Heel Dress Pump Mary Janes shoes Pink
- John Deere Men's 11-Inch FR Steel Toe XRD Met Work Boot
- KTYXDE High Heel Women's Rubber Fashion Temperament Sexy Shallow shoes Single shoes Dress shoes Spring and Summer 6CM Women's shoes (color Black, Size EU35 UK3 CN34)
- Zipper Up Hoof Heels Boots Woman shoes Round Toe shoes Woman Mid Calf Boots
- Women's Pointed Toe Autumn and Winter Retro Evening Party Stiletto High Heel Ankle Boots
- Sam Edelman Womens Rochester Loafer Flats
- Vince Camuto Womens LEERA Wedges
- Toggi Unisex Adult Wanderer Classic Wellington Boots - Navy bluee - 48 EU
- Spring Step Women's Ilda shoes color Black Leather shoes
- KENDALL + KYLIE Womens Paxton Combat Boot
- Femaroly Men Outdoor Hiking Sandals Breathable Athletic Climbing Summer Beach shoes
- Dunlop PUROFORT MultiGrip. Work Boots White
- Taupe Imsu Cambridge Select Women's Back Corset Lace Platform Stiletto High Heel Ankle Bootie
- IDIFU Women's Sparkly Sequins Mid Chunky Heeled Open Toe Mule Sandals for Party
- Le Coq Sportif Estoril Racket Denim, Unisex Adults’ Hi-Top Sneakers
- Propet Women's April Fisherman Sandal, Black, 9 Wide US
- Grey Reebok Men Sneakers Leather Mu
- Super explosion Women's Cross Strappy Open Toe Ankle Strap Flat Sandals
- 1TO9 Womens Cold Lining Non-Marking Oversized Urethane Sandals MJS03272
- WeenFashion Women's Buckle Open Toe Kitten-Heels Blend Materials Solid Sandals
- Fay Waters Women's Platform Oxfords Lace Up Round Toe Mid Heel PU Leather Wedge shoes
- WeenFashion Women's Buckle Cow Leather Open Toe No Heel Solid Sandals
- Sole Boutique Women's The Ophelia Boot
- Qmfur Unisex Snow Boots Anti-Skid Outdoor Warm Winter shoes
- Women Sexy Hollow Slingbacks Sandals Pointed Toe Thin Belt Buckle OL Court shoes Roma shoes EU Size 34-40
- Andy Pansy Winter New Women's Boots Round Head Flat Non-Slip Belt with Wool Neck Down in Warm shoes Casual Women's shoes
- Adidas BB1962 Women's Terrex Agravic Speed shoes
- W&P Mesh running shoes men's lightweight breathable cushioning shoes , 40
- IEDM Funkadelic Psychedelic Vibrant colorful 3D Graphic Print Lace-Up High-Top Comfortable Walking Sports Sneakers
- Sensitives Genuine Leather Men shoes Casual shoes Men Loafers Moccasins Comfortable Driving shoes
- Glacier Grey Black ASICS Men's Gel-Cumulus 20 Running shoes 1011A008
- DC - Chelsea LX - 302142EMERALD
- GIORGIO ARMANI - Frames of Life AR 7101, Geometric, Acetate, Men, Matte Dark Havana(5089), 54 18 145
- Easy Go Shopping Oxford shoes for Men Formal shoes Lace Up Style OX Leather Classic Business Round Toe Solid color Formal Business shoes Cricket shoes
- GOMEZ Men's 716 Lace-Up Flats
- Work shoes Work shoes, safety shoes, comfortable anti-smash steel toe cap suede deodorant breathable tear resistant, rubber outsole, built-in Kevlar midsole, anti-puncture, suitable for four seasons
- Ninja shoes, AIR Jog 12, Jika Tabi
- Adidas Performance Mens Nemeziz Tango 17.3 in Nemeziz Tango 17.3 in
- Marc Fisher Womens Hayfa Open Toe Casual Platform Sandals, Black, Size 9.5
- H-M-STUDIO New Autumn and Winter Wild Diagonal Chain Retro Casual Bag Black 22 16 7Cm
- Ankle Boots for Women Genuine Leather Casual shoes Booties Woman Plus Size Flat Martin Boots Ladies
- Nine West Women's Idrina Suede Dress Sandal
- AT-W111-EGN_Women 6 B(M) Atika Women's Maya Trail Outdoor Water shoes Sport Sandals W111
- Summer-lavender Woman Autumn Ankle Booties shoes Platform Black High Heel shoes Leather shoes Wedges Boots
- Aerosoles Womens Simmer Down Open Toe Casual Slide Sandals
- Windmill Palm Tree Ladies Running shoes Nmd Sports shoes Wide
- LOYORAN Unisex Durable Sole Barefoot Quick-Dry Water Skin shoes Aqua Socks with Adjustable Buckle for Beach Swim
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,DE FONSECA Woman Slippers Wedge Heel high Glitter Made in Tim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”IDIFU Women's Fashion Round Toe Back Zipper Short Ankle Boots with Mid Chunky Heels Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:WHW Women shoes with pointed hollow sandals high heels ribbon fine with ,C,39WYMBS Women's Slippers & Flip-Flops Spring Comfort PU Outdoor Flat Heel open heel slippers,black,36
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Mostrin Women's Motorcycle Boots Fashion Foldable Winter Low Heel Faux Leather Ankle BootieLucksender Womens Platform Low Heel Lace Up Fashion Floral Print Sneakers shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Slippers Men Sandals Hollow Out Hole Flat Sandals Breathable Light Soft Flip Flops Men Beach shoes Big Size 838Kai-da Fashion Ladies High Heels women Pointed Toe Pumps Women shoes Woman Party Ankle Strap Pumps
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:High Heels Sexy Women Pumps Wedding shoes Heels Ladies shoes Female Open Toe Sandals
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Dabbing Unicorn High Top Classic Casual Canvas Fashion shoes Sneakers For Women & Men
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with YOU LOOK PRETTY Women shoes Summer Mules Slippers High Heels Sandals Rivets Pointed Toe, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.