Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Huhuj Spring high platform shoes and leisure Zipper fashion student shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Huhuj Shell-toe shoes Low canvas shoes Lace thin shoesSan hojas Pumps With High Platform Party Nightclubreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
IDIFU Women's Punk Studded Platform High Chunky Heels Lace Up Martin Ankle Boots with Zipper
- Sexy Wedges Women Super High Heels Lady Lace Up Mesh Net Casual PU Leather shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Derived Boot
- Nike Mens Blazer Mid Premium Faux Leather Fashion Sneakers Black 9 Medium (D)
- Hush Puppies Women's Heaven Slip
- Champion 93 Eighteen Repeat Mens Red Canvas Athletic Lace Up Running shoes
- Women Summer Cow Leather Fashion Crystal Gladiator Flat Sandals
- Nike MercurialX Finale II IC Mens Soccer-shoes 831974-589_-Purple Dynasty Bright Citrus
- Icebug Women's Ivalo BUGrip Studded Traction Winter Boot
- Nike Men's 844803-002 Fitness shoes, (Black Volt Anthracite Wolf Grey), 40 EU
- LEDLFIE Summer Breathable Men's Sandals shoes Cutouts Business Dress shoes
- FuweiEncore 2018 Men's Casual Handcrafted Vintage Business Oxford OX Leather Breathable Formal shoes (color Brown, Size 38 EU) (color Brown, Size 43 EU)
- Adidas Originals Jeans MKII, mesa-mesa-core black
- Black Geox Women's Rubidia A Sneaker
- WHW Women‘s Transparent Heel Wedges Heels Peep Toe Sandals Heels Outdoor Sandals,42,red
- Adidas Men's NMD R1 PK Black Aero Green White BB7996
- Super explosion Women Ballet Flats Rhinestone Wedding Ballerina shoes Bridal Slip on Flat shoes
- 1TO9 Womens Non-Marking Dress Cold Lining Urethane Sandals MJS03392
- WeenFashion Women's Low-Heels Assorted color Buckle Patent Leather Sandals
- Kenavinca Womens Square Low Heel Riding Motorcycle Heel Knee High Boots Punk Gothic Platform Lace Up shoes Size34-43
- Wanted shoes Women's Kalua Thong Sandal
- AmoonyFashion Women's Round-Toe Closed-Toe Low-Heels Pumps-shoes with Carved Flower and Floriation
- AdeeSu Womens Comfort Pointed-Toe No-Closure Leather Pumps shoes SDC03567
- GTVERNH Women's shoes Martin Boots Fashion Leisure Short Fur Inside Black Thirty-Five
- Ailj Snow Boots, Ladies Outdoor Thickening Plus Velvet Boots Waterproof Boots Non-Slip UK 3-6 (2 colors) (color gold, Size 38 EU 6 US 5 UK 24cm JP)
- Hoxekle Women Over The Knee High Boots Nubuck Zipper Round Toe Short Plush Low Square Heels Ladies Fashion Long Boots
- Cambridge Select Women's Classic Two-Strap Slip-On Flat Slide Sandal
- English Laundry Mens Palace Fashion Sneaker
- Bath sandals sandals bus L (24.5-26.5cm) green F3222 GN-L (japan import)
- Zamberlan Women's 982 QUAZAR GTX WNS Dark Brown-Pink Leather Backpacking Boots
- Coolway Cool by Women's Caila Boot
- Whisky Baretraps Womens Aero Snow Boot
- Hiviay 2019 Style Cut Outs Women Ankle Boot Genuine Leather shoes Woman Summer Cool Boots with Zip
- Hummel Unisex Adults’ Crosslite Low-Top Sneakers
- MERRYHE Men's Boat shoes Leather Lace Up Slip On Classic Loafer Flats Deck shoes Flat Driving shoes
- 2019 Men's shoes Loafers Slip on Men's Fashion Casual Personality Splicing Side Elastic Belt Simple Lightweight Boat Moccasins Driving Loafers (color Black, Size 9 UK)
- J.Bradford Richelieu Brown Leather JB-Espirit
- Rockport Men's Style Seeker Penny Loafer
- AGOWOO Women Sandals Ankle Strap Flat Thong Beaded Zipper Gladiator
- Nerefy 2018 Summer Hot Fashion Female Sandals with Crystal Buckle Flat Casual Dress Women Flats
- Lost Stars Spring Summer shoes Sandals Plaid High Heels Women Dress shoes Slingbacks Pumps Pointed Toe shoes
- Women Boots Over The Knee Fashion Boots Heels Quality Suede Long Boots Comfort Square Heels Boots
- AllhqFashion Women's Buckle Open Toe Kitten Heels Solid Sandals
- Lalige Tropical Fruit Fresh Pineapples Women Printed Graphics Canvas Slip-ons Travel shoes
- K-Swiss Women's Classic VN Iconic Fashion Sneaker
- SENERY Women Knee-high Boots Fashion Spike High Heels Winter Zipper Boots Round Toe Motorcycle Booties
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Women's Ballet Flat - Women's shoes, Real Suede -Silfershoes - Made in - Yellow colorTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”HuangKang Platform High Heels Women Peep Toe Sandals Party shoes Transparent Square Heel Back Strap Sandalia Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:LZWSMGS Women's PU Open Toe Breathable Sandals Summer Metal Rhinestones High Heels Outdoor Slippers Casual shoes gold and Silver Ladies Sandals (color gold, Size 36)Ankle Strap and Metal Summer Flat Sandals for Women
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Wershiny Evening Clutch Purse Elegant Evening Bag Party Wedding Purses Handbag for Women Round Diamond Tote Bag Women's Spherical Evening BagJQfashion Women's High-Heeled Sandals Diamond Rough-Heeled Roman shoes Silver
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Free-Island Mules Fur Slides Open Toe Sandals Fluffy Slippers Soft Flip Flops Furry shoes WomenJQfashion Women's High-Heeled shoes Spring and Summer High-Heeled Sandals Transparent Sexy Pointed Slippers Muller shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Woman's Sexy Fashion High Heels, Straps Belt Buckles Cool Boots Roman Fashion Sexy Women's Boots Wild Cutout Gladiator Ankle Strap Party shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Efficiency Ms. Summer Transparent Sandals Rhinestone Flowers Sandal Flat with Flip Crystal Women Slipper Beach shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with END GAME Wellwak Luxury Slippers Mules shoes Crystals Slides Ladies Dress shoes Woman Slippers, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.