Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Fan-Shu 2019 Female 8cm High Glitter Heels Pumps Ladies Sexy Chunky Heels Woman. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Linson123 Running shoes Women Fashion Casual shoes mesh Breathable Wild Sports shoes MenJQfashion Women's High-Heeled shoes Sexy Willownails Sandals Leopard-Print Roman shoes Summerreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
GIY Women's Comfort Low Flat Sandals Trendy Open Toe Slip on Casual Platform Slide Sandal shoes
- Black Grey Two White adidas Originals Men's
- Women Pumps Platform Suede shoes Women Ankle Strap Thick Heeled Ladies shoes
- Artfaerie Womens Low Heel Kitten Pointed Toe Pumps with Bows Slip on Dress Court shoes
- Feenfling Cute Cactus Pattern Womens Printed Slip on Low Top Canvas Athletic Sneakers
- shoes women Chunky High Heels Summer shoes Women Sandals Pumps Ladies
- AllhqFashion Women's Low-Heels Solid Pull-On PU Round Closed Toe Pumps-shoes
- LVYING Womens Warm Boots Super High Square Heel Metal Decoration Zipper Winter Office Mid Calf Boots
- T-JULY Women's Sneakers Breathable Woman Canvas shoes Size Spring
- Longbao 2019 Peep Toe Women s Classic Design Zipper Party shoes Spring Party Night Club shoes Woman
- Nike Mens Roshe One Red Mesh Trainers 12 US
- Women's Sexy Pointy Open Toe Show High Heel Black Dress Pump Stiletto Sandals
- Easy Spirit Women's Blast 2 Taupe 8 D US
- Lugz Womens Tallulah Water Resistant Fashion Boot
- Glad You Came Casual Men Driving shoes Genuine Suede Leather Flat Boat shoes Handmade Breathable Doug shoes for Men Loafers
- Shellys London Womens Hazel Oxford
- T.U.K. Women's A8570l Ballet Flat
- Antelope Women's 569 Leather Cutout Stripe Heel Bootie
- Forever Collectibles Iowa Hawkeyes Slippers - Womens Stocking
- Sports Outdoor Sandals Men's Leather Fisherman Breathable Summer Casual shoes Walking Beach Travel Beach Slippers
- Cofra 22300-000.W42 Size 42 S1 P SRC Crevasse Safety shoes - Grey Green
- Grey-Chalk Coral adidas Terrex AX2R shoes Women's Hiking
- CHENGLing Womens Party Dress Pump Adorable Low Block Heel Closed Toe Sandals
- Ruosh Men's Brown Leather Formal shoes - 7.5 UK India (41 EU)
- NDHSH Mens Vintage Martin Boots Chelsea Boots Leather Lined Dealer Safety Boots Skidproof Ankle Boots Casual Smart
- Multicolour (Black University Red-white 001) Nike Men's Jordan Ultra Fly 2 Low Basketball shoes
- Moongodess Women Winter Warm Long Snow Boots Over Knee Boots with Synthetic Fur
- Riverberry Women's Aida Slingback Thong Flat Sandals
- WeenFashion Women's Frosted Kitten-Heels Buckle Open-Toe Sandals, CA18LA05146
- Guilty Heart Womens Fashion Glitter Metallic Lace up Slip On Wedge Platform Sneaker
- Juliet-601 shoes - Size 6
- Hoohle Sports Cartoon Cute Cats Faces bluee Background Women Roshe One Flex Mesh Running shoes Men
- San hojas Thin Heel Ladies Pumps Party High Heels Size 10 11
- WeiPoot Women's Frosted Buckle Closed-Toe High-Heels Solid Sandals, EGHLH007702
- WLJSLLZYQ Fashion Casual shoes Round Head Foot Lok Fu shoes Nude shoes Student shoes
- Hunter Original Short Ladies Wellington Boots UK5 EU38 US7 Navy
- Steve Madden Men's Stokyard Slip-On
- Mens Sandals, Men's Genuine Leather Beach Slippers Casual Breathable Non-Slip Soft Flat Closed Toe Sandals shoes. (color Yellow, Size 10.5MUS)
- CAPE ROBBIN Women Metallic Leatherette Pointy Toe Spectator Sneaker GC61
- Silver 12cm pleasantlyday Sexy shoes Woman Pointed Toe Heels Crystal Bling Silver High Heels shoes
- Nine Seven Suede Leather Women's Pointed Toe Stiletto Heel Sexy Handmade Platform Over The Knee Boots
- Ted Baker Womens NOKON Heeled Sandal
- FuweiEncore 2018 Men's shoes Casual Matte PU Leather Slipper Lace up Breathable Pointed Toe Oxfords Black (color Black, Size 37 EU) (color Black, Size 39 EU)
- Ted Baker London Men's Lapiin Oxford
- Geox Men's U Nebula B Low-Top Trainers
- Adidas Men's Crazy Explosive Primeknit Basketball shoes
- Replay Mens Perform Dark Brown Leather Smart Fashion Work Casual shoes
- LAIGEDANZI Womens Pumps Leather Wedges Platform Stiletto High Heels Open Toe Sexy Party shoes,Wine red,8
- Womens High-Heeled Pumps shoes Women shoes Pointed Toe Pumps Patent Leather Dress shoes High Heels Boat shoes Wedding shoes
- AmoonyFashion Womens High Heels Imitated Suede Frosted Short Plush Solid Boots with Wege and Buckle, bluee, 7.5 B(M) US
- Wetkiss Thick Heels Lady Over The Knee Boots Sexy Slim Stretch Thigh high Boots Women's shoes
- Jelly Jolly London Boots and Sock Bundle bluee Sole - Transparent Boots
- ISOTONER Women's Brushed Seater Knit Carin Clog
- Women's high-top Hiking shoes Waterproof Boots Thick Ankle Boots Frosted Leather Boots British Wind Flat Boots Short Boots
- AdeeSu Womens Pointed-Toe Travel No-Closure Light-Weight Suede Pumps shoes SDC04306
- Nine West Womens Maolisa Satin Dress Pump
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Women Jelly Sandals Buckle Comfort Open Toe Plastic Non Slip Casual Hollow Summer Garden Flats Rain SandalTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Milk Maniac Women shoes Pumps High Heels shoes Elegant Mid Heeled Sexy Pointed Toe Slingbacks shoes Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:JQfashion Women's High-Heeled shoes Sexy Willow Nails High-Heeled Sandals Tip-On Slender-Lipped Women's shoesSmall Basketball High Heels Sandals Women Mixed color Ankle Strap shoes Woman Summer Sandals Pointed Toe
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Gcanwea Women's Comfortable Sequins Open Toe Flats Platform Slide On Sandals Black 6.5 M USSoulength Heels for Women Elegant Metal Crystal Women Pumps shoes Fashion Party shoes Women's Pointed Toe shoes，Black
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Autumn Winter Ankle Boots Women Fur Cuff Thick Heel Motorcycle Combat Boots WBS226GIY Summer Beach Outdoor Flat Thong Ankle Strap Sandals with Fashion pink for Women
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:WYMBS Women's Short Boots Autumn Winter Round Head Scrub High-Heeled Rough With Belt Buckle Martin Boots,Black,40
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Soda IF13 Women's Classic Elastic Panel Slip On Stitched Fashion Sneaker Black
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Xiaoyouny Fashionable Women's Peep Toe High Heels Solid Zipper Sandals, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.