Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Xiaoyouny Fashionable Women's Peep Toe High-Heels Soft Material Solid Hook-and-Loop Sandals. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Fleeting Time Womens Korean Sweet Lady Fashion Crossbody HandbagLucksender Womens Retro Fashion Vintage Round Toe Low Heel Mary Janes shoes with Bucklereading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
LINYI Womens Ladies High Heel Pointed Toe Sandals Suede Stiletto Heels
- Wine Red CAMSSOO Women's Flat Chelsea Boots Walking Boots for Women Elastic Waterproof Round Toe Ankle Boots
- Lindarry Ankle Strap Sandals for Women Stiletto High Heeled Pumps for Ladies Pointed Side Cut Out Faux Suede Fashion (color Nude, Size 11 M US)
- Women Platform Slip On Comfort Loafers Sneakers Driving shoes
- Women's Fashion Lightweight Sneakers shoes Flamingo Red Pink Original Basketball shoes
- AmoonyFashion Women's Hook-and-Loop Open Toe Pu Solid Sandals, BUSLS004742
- I Need-You Autumn Women Slippers Flock Bowtie Female Mules Fashion Low Heels shoes Pointed Toe Plus Size Elegant Woman Slipper,Sky bluee,5
- Spring Martin Boots Men's Boots Men Couple Boots Tendon At The End High To Help Tooling Boots
- Camel active Men's University 20 Derbys
- Skechers Men's Molton-GAVERO Chelsea Boot, BRN, 6H Medium US
- August Jim Womens Ballet Flat shoes Rhinestone shoes Round Toe Soft Slip on Flats
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Womens Happy Change Dress Pump with Tassel Detail Metallic Dress Pump
- Women Summer Bud Mesh Face Single Wedge Heel shoes Breathable Inner Increase Casual Flat Casual shoes
- Skechers Street goldie Shiny Shaker Womens Slip On Sneakers
- PU Women Over The Knee Boots Sexy High Heels shoes Winter Boots Warm Buckle Zip Round Toe Square Heel Boot
- Official Slazenger Bowls shoes Womens White Athleisure Trainers Sneakers Footwear
- Grandco Womens Diamond Pearl Style Thong Sandal
- Official Lee Cooper Akron Hi Top Trainers Mens Athleisure Footwear shoes Sneakers
- Bumper DK42 Women Mixed Media Fur Cuff Quilted Lace Up Boot - Black
- ECCO shoes Women's Soft 7 Lace Fashion Sneakers, pink Dust, 41 EU 10-10.5 M US
- Luc Matisse 0162 Women's Italian Dress Casual Leather Mid Heel Pointy Toe shoes
- Havaianas Women's Flip Flop Sandals, Origine Relax Espadrille
- Fuxitoggo Men's Cowhide Martin Boots Lace Up Wear Resistance Flat Heel shoes (color Light Brown, Size 44 EU) (color Light brown, Size 39 EU)
- J.Bradford Derby Brown Leather JB-Lucero
- Clarks Midford Edge Boots Men's
- Black MAYPIE Womens Toannoy Leather Slip-on Over-The-Knee Boots
- Secret-shop 2019 Women Sandals Gladiator Peep Toe Buckle Design Roman Sandals Women Flat shoes
- GooGood Fashion High Top Fluorescent Snakers Canvas shoes For Mens & Womens
- Beautiful - Fashion Women's Flat Ballet Loafer Oxford shoes Ankle Buckle Strappy Round Toe Studded Rivets Fashion shoes
- colorful Fun Math sign Casual Women's Comfort Flat Slip on shoes Ladies Loafer shoes
- Nike Men's's Jordan 88 Racer Trail Running shoes
- Women's high Heel Sandals, Pointed Stiletto Plaid Heels Elegant Versatile Shallow shoes
- Flats Women's Winter High-top shoes, Warm Inside Increase Casual Side Zipper shoes
- LHJY New Women's shoes in Summer Korean Women's shoes Black Rome High Heels and One Buckles
- T-JULY Women Loafers Animal Print Flats shoes Woman shoes Slip on shoes Ladies Casual Leisure shoes
- AdeeSu Womens Bucket-Style Waterproof Leather Leather Boots SXE05055
- Women's Knee High Boots Pleated Bow High Heels Slip On Winter Warm Fur Female Sweety Party Boot Women
- Dr. Brinkmann Womens-Clog silver 600429-92
- Tency Men & Women Leather Fashion Casual Commercial shoes
- DIMAOLV Men's shoes Nappa Leather Spring Fall Comfort Sneakers Walking shoes Booties Ankle Boots for Outdoor White Black Red,Red,US8 EU40 UK7 CN41
- Nina Women's Vesta LS Dress Pump
- Adidas Mens Tubular Nova Originals Tactile Green Lgh Solid Grey Dark Grey Running shoes 10 Men US
- Freepeople Womens Mont white Open Toe Casual Slide Sandals
- Source Outdoor Men's Thong Sandals
- Kalra Creations Men's Traditional Indian Velvet Groom shoes
- Adidas Men's Multido Essence Handball shoes
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,UKJSNHH igh Heels Women Pumps Fashion Classic Patent Leather High Heels shoes Pointed Toe Sharp Head Wedding Women Dress shoes Size 35-39Tim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Spring Autumn Breathable Mens Flats shoes Zapatillas Hombre shoes Stripe Sapato Sneakers Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:RAINIE002 2019 Summer Fashion PVC Transparent Sandals Sexy Crystal Open Toed High Heels Buckle Strap Seentinewomen SandalsZerenQ D'Orsay Pumps for Women High Stiletto Heels Patent PU Leather Sexy Pointed Toe Classic Dress shoes for Ladies Durable (color Black 8 cm Heel, Size 32 EU)
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Fan-Shu Women shoes Purple shoes Heel Woman Flock High Heels Women Pumps Ladies Office shoesQingzhifeng Women shoes High Heels Black Flock Pumps Wedding Party shoes Thin Heels Small Size 32 Plus
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Erdoxo Cute Jungle Sloth Leaves Youth Classic Canvas Sneakers Low Cut Unique FootwearFantasy Bees Charm Women's Canvas shoes Casual Slip-On Sneaker Low Top
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Erdoxo World Autism Awareness Day Puzzle color Hand Poster Lady Classic Canvas Sneakers Low Cut Solid color Walking shoes
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
WXMDDN Female Latin Dance shoes Adult Black Dance shoes 5.5cm Soft Soles Indoor Dance shoes Modern Dance shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with HZZU Womens Slip On Sneaker Mesh Loafer Casual Beach Street Sports Walking shoes, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.