Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about VulusValas Women Pull On Stiletto Thigh High Boots Platform. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- FANIMILA Women Comfort Low Heel shoesKemeKiss Women Boots Zipper Oxfordreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
TAOFFEN Women Sparkly Stiletto Sandal shoes
- GOBY Womens shoes Hoot Owl Pattern Ankle Boots HP114
- Women's Wedge Sandals, Large Size Summer shoes Bohemian Rhinestone Decorative Casual Flip-Flops Platform Flats for Swimming Pool, Vacation, Home, Daily Wear
- Kirabon Women's Thick with High Heel Hollow Hollow Patent Leather Pointed High Heel Women's Sandals (color Black, Size 40)
- Winter Footwear Thigh High Boots Female Long Boots High Heel Over The Knee Boots Pointed Toe shoes
- ECCO shoes Women's Soft 7 Slip-On
- Guilty shoes Guilty Heart Womens Strappy Cut Out Perforated Open Toe shoes Block Chunky Mid Heel Comfortable Walking Sandals
- Propet Women's MYA Work shoes Black
- High Heel Boot Over The Knee shoes for Women Flock 20 cm Ladies Long Boots Sexy Spring Winter Warm Boots
- LEABAGS OHIO Genuine Leather Womens Card Holder Zipper Clutch Wallet Black
- G By Guess Womens Harson Almond Toe Knee High Fashion, Black Black, Size 9.0
- K-Flame Men's Military Combat Boot Desert Jungle Tactical Boots Non-slip Outdoor Hiking Boots Side Zip Breathable Special shoes for Work Climbing shoes
- Cotswold Mens Abbeydale Low Hiker Lightweight Hiking Walking Boots
- Geox U Carnaby D Men’s Derby
- Black Nbpu Cambridge Select Women's Back Corset Lace Chunky Stacked Heel Ankle Bootie
- Perilla fire 2019 Women Newest Classic 11cm High Heels Fetish Soft Leather Sandals Female Gladiator Summer shoes
- Lotto Leggenda Sneaker Man Brasil Select LTH
- Salewa Wildfire Edge Climbing shoes - Men's, Ombre bluee Fluo Yellow, 11, 00-0000061346-3840-11
- Coolemon shoes Woman 2019 Summer Flock Brand OL high-Heeled Woman Sandals Frosted with Fish Mouth Ladies Sexy Sandals
- Fluorescent Luminous shoes Shiny Night LED shoes Light Up USB Charging Flashing Sneakers for Kids Boys Girls
- Black Snake Skin Women's Printing Sports Running shoes Hunting Gift
- AmoonyFashion Women's Kitten-Heels Soft Material Low-Top Assorted color Lace-up Boots
- colord Fruits Doodle Pineapple Avocado Cool Running shoes Women size 6.5
- Fashion Women Casual shoes Hidden Heel Faux Leather Wedge Sneakers Platform Autumn Height Increasing shoes
- AIWEIYi Womens Sweet Bow Ankle Strap High Heels Dress Pump shoes Black
- Ellie shoes Women's 652-KAYLA 6 1 2 Heel Platform Sandal
- HXYOO Ballroom Dance shoes Women for Salsa Latin Tango Indoor Floral Satin Approximately 3 inches Heel
- Women's High Heel Denim Sandals Peep Toe Credver Ankle Strap Stiletto Heeled Cut Out Sandals shoes for Lady Pointed Pumps shoes for Night Club Party
- Report Womens Elianna Ankle Bootie
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Cross Strap High Heels with Roman Sandals for Walking Hiking Tourism Wedding Water BeachTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Kappa Trust Footwear Unisex, Unisex Adults' Low-Top Sneakers Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Bloch Dance Women's Neo-Hybrid Dance shoes, Pink, W USFUN.S Women's Athletic Casual Slip-On Lightweight Sneaker Walking shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.AIYOUMEI Women's Lace up Block Heel Pumps shoes Mary JanesWomen Winter Home Slippers Cartoon Cat shoes Rabbit Non-Slip Soft Warm House Indoor Floor Flats shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Step n Style Punjabi Jutti Fancy Indian shoes Wedding Bridal shoes Mojari Flip Flops BlackAicciAizzi Women Lace up Court shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Heat-Tracing Silk Flowers Flat Slippers Outside Sweet Camellia Tassel flip Flops Summer 5 colors Denim Slippers Girls
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
AnMengXinLing Platforms Gladiator Sandals Women Chunky High Heels Open Toe Ankle Cross Straps Buckle Dress shoes Evening Wedding Glitter Strappy Pumps Silver gold Black
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with RizaBina Women Ankle Strap Heels Pumps, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.