Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about AGOWOO Womens Zandalias Flower Open Toe Beach Wedge Sandals. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- AGOWOO Women Sandals Cool Skull Beaded Ankle Strap Gladiator Thong BeachAGOWOO Women's Vintage Casual Elastic Slip On Flat Loafer shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Tuoup Women's Leather Anti-Skid Flat Sandles Beach Thong Sandals
- Sexy Wedges Women Super High Heels Lady Lace Up Mesh Net Casual PU Leather shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Derived Boot
- Nike Mens Blazer Mid Premium Faux Leather Fashion Sneakers Black 9 Medium (D)
- Hush Puppies Women's Heaven Slip
- Champion 93 Eighteen Repeat Mens Red Canvas Athletic Lace Up Running shoes
- Women Summer Cow Leather Fashion Crystal Gladiator Flat Sandals
- Nike MercurialX Finale II IC Mens Soccer-shoes 831974-589_-Purple Dynasty Bright Citrus
- Icebug Women's Ivalo BUGrip Studded Traction Winter Boot
- Nike Men's 844803-002 Fitness shoes, (Black Volt Anthracite Wolf Grey), 40 EU
- Delicious Junction Crowley Black Suede Desert Boots
- Brandon Christie Mens Outdoor Climbing shoes Waterproof and Non-slip Genuine Leather Lace-up Breathable Keepwarm Lightweight Durable Boots for Running Traveling Trekking Hiking
- Avenger Safety Footwear Men's 7250 Steel Toe Boot
- 1 Womens Slippers Women Home Slippers Leisure Soft Interior Solid color Fresh Simple Style Wear-Resistant Comfortable Super Soft Household Slippers
- UKJSNHH igh Heels Women Pumps Ankle Strap Thick Heel Women shoes Square Toe Mid Heels Dress Work Pumps Comfortable Ladies shoes 3 cm
- Nike Kobe Ad Mens Ar5515-500 Size 8
- Gusha Women's Pointed Toe High Heels Sexy High Heel Sandals
- YVWTUC Women's Open Toe Leather Sandals Summer Flat shoes
- Women's Men's Slippers Cartoon Home Cotton Slippers Warm Indoor Anti-Slip shoes for Women Men House shoes Indoor Outdoor (color Black, Size 4-5UK)
- WeiPoot Women's Soft Material Round Closed Toe Solid Low top Low-Heels Boots
- Damara Womens Trifold Soft Faux Leather Embellished Clutch Wallet,Black
- CALICO KIKI Women's Ballerina Flats Side Slingback Casual Round Toe Comfort shoes
- Women's shoes Fashion High Heels Fashion Polka Dot High Heels Pointed Metal Buckle Pumps Wedding Party & Evening Walking shoes (color A, Size 36)
- Carlos by Carlos Santana Women's Jazlyn Pump
- Pierre Dumas Delanie-1 Women's Vegan Leather Rounded-Toe Stacked Mid-Heel Dress Pumps
- Adidas EQT Support Advance Sneakers
- Chase & Chloe Emery-2 Women's Classic Side Zipper Mid Stacked Chunky Ankle Booties
- Jiedi Men's Casual shoes Comfort Loafers Lace up shoes Summer Fall Sneakers Driving shoes
- ASH inc Womens Nicky Bis Fashion Sneaker
- Grinders New Rebel Black Unisex Smooth Sole Leather Western Bikers High Boots
- New Balance Womens 996v3 Hard Court Tennis shoes
- Black MAYPIE Womens ToaheadK Leather Slip-on Ankle Boots
- Odema Womens Knee High Riding Low Heel Zip Quilted Buckle Boots
- FuweiEncore Men's shoes 2018, Men's Slipper, Lightweight, Moccasins, Hemp Rope, Decor, Genuine Leather, Leather, Navy, 40's (color Marine, Size 44 EU)
- Fila Men's BBN 84 Ice Faux Leather, Nylon, Rubber Fashion Sneakers
- Nautica Men's Forecastle Ankle Boot
- Cofra Driscoll S1P Safety shoes Black Neon Green
- Adidas Mens La Trainer Weave-UK 7.5 EUR 41 1 3 US 8
- Plus Size Women shoes Fashion Rhinestone Flat shoes Lightweight Breathable Ladies Lazy Loafers Casual Canvas Female Footwear 2019
- Women Sandals High Heels shoes Ladies Sexy Big Size Leather Sandals High Heels,zk001-black,4
- Cdon Women's Slip-Resistant Hiking shoes Walking Sneakers Outdoor Trekking shoes
- Davikey Women's Trendy Buckled Straps Round Toe Side Zipper Block Low Heel Short Boots
- Ghssheh Women's Trendy Sequins Round Toe Low Top Lace Up Platform Sneakers bluee 4 M US
- ORIOCX YECLA GREY SHOE TREKKING T-39
- Vintage bluee & White Flag Slippers Country Flag Watercolor Non-Slip Quick-Drying Slippers for Womens
- SAGUARO Women's Bohemian Rhinestone Summer Sandals Slip on Beach Flip Flop Flat Thong shoes
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Naomiky New Flat shoes Women Breathable Women Sneakers Footwear Soft Soles Silver gold Women Flats Casual shoes Lace UpTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Unyielding1 Ballroom Dance shoes Women Latin Salsa Practice Dancer shoes Performance shoes Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:Skechers Womens Bobs Squad - Pocket Ace SneakerAdult Cute Cartoon Cat House Slippers Comfort Winter Warm House Slipper Indoor Slip shoes for women
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Female Flat shoes Pointy Toe Leather Ladies Loafers Women Bag shoes Low Top Square HeelAnkle Boots Women Autumn Genuine Leather Boots Zipper Leather Flat Round Toe Boot Botas women
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Paramise sandals Female High-Heeled Cool Summer Two-Pointed High-Heeled Sandal and Half Slippers Fashion ShallowSkechers Womens Bumblers - Bees Knees - Laser-Cut Rhinestone Flip Flop Flip-Flop
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:YP-fashion Snow Boots Classic Heels Boots Warm Fur Plush Insole Ankle Boots Women shoes Hot Lace-Up
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Skechers Womens Bobs Plush - Prowl Flat
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with City Classified Women's Classic Round Toe Pumps White Pat 7 M US, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.