Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about CarziCuzin Women Spring Slip On Pumps shoes. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- LingGT Fleece Lined Boots Women Bowknot Flat Casual Short shoes (color Red, Size CA 8)Owen Moll Women Flip-Flop Sandals Bohemia Style Ladies Stylish Soft Summer Beach Vacation Flat shoesreading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Women's Casual shoes,Dainzuy Ladies High Heel Zipper Flock Ankle Round Toe Boots
- ERSER Wild Sunflower with Bees Winter Running shoes Women
- CHENSIR9 Ladies shoes Women Sandals Summer Open Toe Fish Head Fashion Platform High Heels Wedge Sandals Female shoes Women
- T-JULY Summer Fashion High Platform Sandals Women Casual Ladies shoes Black White
- Women Ankle Strap Sandals Stiletto Heeled High Heel shoes Buckle Peep Toe Party Dress Evening Black Size 3-12
- Demonia Women's Grip-03 Platform shoes Black
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Womens Fridah Cool Ankle Bootie
- Dickies Men's Dickies Blaster 6 CSA Work Boot
- T-JULY New Women Fashion Velvet High Heels Over The Knee Boots Sexy Round Toe Platform Nightclub Party shoes
- V Italia 1041 Women's Kiki Smoke Wool Lined Casual Leather European Trainers Black
- Earth Womens Keren Cognac Boot - 11 M
- Qiusa Men Sandals Non-Slide Male Handmade Slippers Genuine Leather Casual shoes Outdoor Leisure Slippers (color Red Brown, Size 6.5=40 EU)
- LEDLFIE Men's Real Leather shoes Formal Wear Business Lace up shoes
- Adidas Men's POD-S3.1 Core Black Real purplec Shock Red CG5947
- Olive Palladium Women's Pallabrouse Baggy Chukka Boot
- Hjtrust Women's shoes for Prom Evening Party Pumps Heels Tulle Wedding shoes 7216-07 Ivory
- Boxfresh - Sparko ICN LEA E14660 - Rust
- Ted Baker Men's Plowns Sneaker
- Fashion shoesbox Womens Wedge Sneakers Casual Soft Sole Lace Up Fabic Breathable Flat Platform Athletic Running shoes
- T-JULY Summer Women Slippers Summer Ladies Slippers for Family Butterfly-Knot Women shoes Antiskid Female Sandals Women
- BalaMasa Ladies Buckle Pointed-Toe Solid Urethane Flats shoes
- Women's Classics Winter Snow Boots Fur Lined Warm shoes Outdoor Ankle Booties
- Sunny Doll Crystal Wedding shoes High Heels Rhinestone Party Prom Dress Women shoes Thin High Heel Pumps New
- Women Snakeskin Open Toe Criss Cross Slide Footbed Sandal EF97 - White
- GIY Woman Lace Up Block Heel Ankle Boots Winter Leather High Chunky Heels Round Toe Riding Martin Boots
- He-yanjing Women's Casual shoes, 2018 The Ms. Flying Weaving Large Size Sneaker
- Adidas Women's Response Limited Boost Running shoes, White, 10
- SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker Women's Tartt Daniela Denim Tapestry Pump
- Men's shoes, Leather shoes, Large Size shoes, Breathable, Wear-Resistant, Non-Slip Low-Cut Flat Heel Casual shoes
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,KemeKiss Women Fashion Leopard Ankle High Dress Boots High HeelsTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”KemeKiss Women Slouch Boots Pull On Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:ASO-SLING Women's Furry Slippers Indoor Outdoor Non-Slip Casual Open Toe Flat Slide SandalsCarziCuzin Women Pull On Boots Height Increasing
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.GBS Womens Audrey Ladies SlipperBloch Womens Chord T-bar Strap 2 Dance shoes
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Circus by Sam Edelman Womens Tate Heeled SandalWhite Mountain shoes 'Markos' Women's Moccasin
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:Artfaerie Womens Pointed Toe Ballet Flats Pearls Pumps Comfortable Dress Low Heel Court shoes Jewel
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
Women's Fashion Canvas Breathable Platform Flats Walking shoes
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Smilice Women Fashion Over The Knee Platform Boots, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.