Who reads this?
I mean, obviously, you do. Morgan reads it. I read it, sometimes. We have over 200 subscribers -- as always thank you all. But, our audience is small and niche. That might not necessarily be true forever (*whispers* tell your friends about us) but two writers with a preference for America’s third favorite sport and moderately heterodox rhapsodies about New York sports heroes will only have so broad of a readership. But, while I’m always thinking about making our work interesting for a variety of sports fans, one of my biggest tensions about our focus is that it rarely reaches the sports fans I talk smack with in real life.
The friends I grew up and still kick it with today aren’t snarking on Twitter or engaging in regular discourse about Marc Fisher Womens LANZIA Combat Boot. But they're still passionate sports fans who love the game as much as I do. But unlike my Hardwood Paroxysm- Unm Women's Closed Toe Flat Sandals with Studs - Burnished Ankle Strap - Comfort PointedZXCVB& 2019 Wholesale Fringe Buckle Strap Chunky Heels Summer Sandals Woman shoes Casual Large Size 33-43 Black shoes Woman Red 10.5reading self, they might get their fix from the sports back page. So, like Morgan, I wonder what serves their appetite for sports news and updates. And I mourn any trend that would make it less likely for people to get basically reliable news, updates, and commentary on sports.
I’m hopeful The Athletic fills the void and find its people (of which I am almost certainly one). But like Morgan, I’m curious what this all means for average, everyday newspapers. Hope you enjoy her take.
Warm Large Size Women's Snow Boots Cotton shoes, Winter Plus Cotton Ladies Martin Boots, Flat shoes (Brown),37
- Wine Red CAMSSOO Women's Flat Chelsea Boots Walking Boots for Women Elastic Waterproof Round Toe Ankle Boots
- Lindarry Ankle Strap Sandals for Women Stiletto High Heeled Pumps for Ladies Pointed Side Cut Out Faux Suede Fashion (color Nude, Size 11 M US)
- Women Platform Slip On Comfort Loafers Sneakers Driving shoes
- Women's Fashion Lightweight Sneakers shoes Flamingo Red Pink Original Basketball shoes
- AmoonyFashion Women's Hook-and-Loop Open Toe Pu Solid Sandals, BUSLS004742
- I Need-You Autumn Women Slippers Flock Bowtie Female Mules Fashion Low Heels shoes Pointed Toe Plus Size Elegant Woman Slipper,Sky bluee,5
- Spring Martin Boots Men's Boots Men Couple Boots Tendon At The End High To Help Tooling Boots
- Camel active Men's University 20 Derbys
- Skechers Men's Molton-GAVERO Chelsea Boot, BRN, 6H Medium US
- AdeeSu Womens Spikes Stilettos Fur Collar Urethane Boots SXC03468
- WANGZHAO Backpack Bag, Women Bag, Shoulder Bag, Pu Travel
- Dear Mgoldcco Simple Babouche Sheepskin Slippers
- AmoonyFashion Women's Round-Toe Kitten-Heels Pu Solid Pumps-shoes, BUSDT001734
- YDN Women Transparent Pointed Toe Low Heel Sandals Mules Slip on Slide Flats shoes
- CHENXD shoes, Men's Fashion Comfortable Lace-up Oxford Casual Classic Carved Patent Leather Brogue shoes
- Cambridge Select Women's Low Top Perforated Lace-Up Casual Flatform Fashion Sneaker
- WeiPoot Women's Solid Closed-Toe Boots with Chunky Heels and Zippers
- Thalia Sodi Womens Riya Fabric Open Toe Casual Mule Sandals, pink gold, Size 6.0
- Adrianna Papell Womens ALEC Dress Pump
- Liberty Men's Leather Handmade Tassel Loafer Slip On Dress shoes Black
- Mens Genuine Leather Slippers Sandals One word Retro slippers Summer comfortable beach shoes
- Merrell Men's Jungle Lace Ac+ Moccasin
- Igi&Co 2127844 Ankle Man Grey 45
- ZHRUI Casual Polished Leather Boots for Men Soft Sole Durable Non Slip Comfort Boots (color Black, Size UK 7.5)
- Silver Pu Cambridge Select Women's Open Toe T-Strap Chunky Block Mid Heel Sandal
- GIY Women's Flat Flip Flops Sandals with Metallic Platform Comfort Fashion Summer Beach Thong Black White
- Gjsonmv Palm Sunday Palm Tree Pattern Green mesh Lightweight shoes for Women Summer Sports Trail Running Sneakers shoes
- ProDIgal Women's Satin shoes, high Heels, Ankle Straps, Parties, Wedding Balls
- Yellow Bamboo Panda Bear Canvas Sneakers for Women Slip Wear-Resistant Run shoes
- Black Fuxitoggo Men's Fashion Ankle Boots, Casual New Zipper High-top Outdoor Work shoes (Warm Velvet Optional) (color Warm Black, Size 40 EU) (color Warm Black, Size 42 EU)
- Women Pumps Shallow Slip On Extreme High Heels Square Toe shoes
- AmoonyFashion Girls Closed Round Toe Low Heels Cow Leather Frosted Micro Fiber Solid Pumps with Bowknot, pinkred, 7.5 B(M) US
- Tianrui Crown Women and Ladies Embroidery Mid-Calf Boots Square Heel Short Boot shoes
- Eldof Women's High Heel Gladiator Sandals 10CM Office Heels Classic Peep Toe Patent shoes
- Victoria's Secret Pink Slides Slip On Metallic Sandals
- MET RXL Mother in Summer shoes Old Pierced Sandal Pregnant Women Low Heel
- YDN Women Peep Toe Mid Cone Heel Sandals V Cut Slingback Slip On Faux Suede Waved Party Dress Pumps shoes
- Native Men's Apollo Rain shoes
- Steve Madden Mens Noland Chukka Boot
- Lady Slippers Warm Slippers Men Casual Slip Resistant and Waterproof Synthetic PU Slipper Small Soild color Personality Creativity Brown
- SK Studio Men's Leather Sport Fashion Lace Up Sneaker
- Paul Green Women's Trisha Dress Sandal
- FuweiEncore 2018 Men Business Oxford shoes, Casual Summer Breathable Hollow Classic Outsole Formal shoes (color Black, Size 44 EU) (color Black, Size 43 EU)
- SELCNG Water shoes Barefoot Quick-Drying Water Sports shoes Outdoor Sports shoes Suitable for Kayaking, Boating, Hiking, Surfing, walking-orange-43
- Polo Ralph Lauren Geffron-sk Fashion Sneaker
Earlier this year I tried to purchase a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I wanted the digital subscription; I’d route the Sunday paper to my parents’ house. But when I typed in their zip code, a bot informed me that my childhood home was outside their delivery radius. I raised my eyebrows—I remembered my neighbors receiving the Chronicle. I messaged the paper on Twitter to confirm that the area fell outside their borders. They didn’t return my inquiry. I moved on.
I haven’t lived in the Bay Area for nearly a decade and haven’t given much thought to a return. With the exception of my parents and handful of childhood friends, the Giants remain my strongest tie to the area. I frequently stream the local sports radio station. I read the local beat writers on Twitter and the Chronicle (until the paywall shuts me out) and flew back to San Francisco last year specifically to attend a Giants sportswriter events. (I was flattered when a beat writer told me he recognized me in the audience from Twitter.) I’ve come closer to purchasing a subscription for a newspaper in a part of the country I’ve never lived in during my adult life than the city in which I’ve spent the past three years.
So, let’s talk about The Athletic. For those of you who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland, meet an ad-free, subscription-only, hyperlocal sports site. Its Bay Area iteration launched this week,Summer-lavender shoes Women Height Increasing Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Fabric Slip-On shoesTim Kawakami, its editor-in-chief. The site has cash: their latest investment round netted $5.8 million. This happened not even 100 days after ESPN laid off 100 or so journalists.
“The plan is to scoop up laid-off writers,”Beverly Stewart shoes Woman Slip On shoes Loafers Girl Ballet Flats Women Flat shoes Soft Comfortable Plus Size 34-40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 Bloomberg News recently noted. That may still be the plan. It’s certainly good news after the ESPN layoffs, after Vocativ’s shut down, after Vice Sports was the two percent of jobs the company recently eliminated. Long live The Athletic. So what’s the catch?
Potentially nothing. But there’s this:PRETTYHOMEL Women Sandals Summer Platform Sandal shoes Breathable Comfort Ladies Walking shoesLuuvy-shop sandal Fashion Party Slippers Women Summer shoes Black White Buckle Chunky Heel Ladies Sandals shoes
When [The Athletic] launched in Cleveland earlier this year, it poached one of the most well-known local writers covering the Cleveland Cavaliers, and got 1,000 subscribers within 48 hours.
Kawakami and F&F friend Marcus Thompson? These are longtime writers with fanbases, poached from area newspapers. As a journalist who cheers for local news outlets and shudders at their financial struggles, these details tied a knot in my stomach.
Why? Here’s what one beat writer told news analysis org Nieman Lab in 2014:
Most of the [team’s] fans aren’t reading our paper. But most of them are going to my blog once in a while if not every day. They also go to [my newspaper’s] Internet site. My job security comes from that. My job is only still there for online journalism, because [media consumers] could just pick up [another paper’s] newspaper content [on the team he covers]. We offer more than just basic stories on our online sites.
In other words, sports played a critical role in keeping his institution relevant to a wider and broader audience, a prospect increasingly important in an era where the media itself has been the frequent target of the president. The New Yorker noted this last month that the President’s critiques of the media have devastated at least one local Colorado newspaper.Dont mention the past Gladiator Sandals Glitter Thick Heel Women shoes Mid High Heels Ladies Summer Zipper shoesThe Hot Rock 2019 Women Summer shoes Fluffy peep Toe Stilettos high Heels shoes Woman Fur Feather Lady Wedding Sandals Pink Nude Large Size 43
During the election season, it’s common for some people to cancel their subscriptions, but last year the Sentinel lost more of them than usual. That’s one of the ironies of the age: The New York Times and the Washington Post, which Trump often attacks by name, have gained subscribers and public standing, while a small institution like the Sentinel has been damaged within its community.
So yeah. I’m concerned that key stars ditching their longtime outlets for sites that specifically reward their talents as regional sports media will be another paper cut or two that kills the newspaper.
Here’s why I give a damn about local newspapers. At the basis of most communities: a common text. Many colleges ask their incoming freshmen to read the same book the summer before school starts. Consider the way entire religious communities center around the Bible or Quran.
The political community isn’t unique. This is a gap historically fulfilled by newspapers. This medium traditionally provides a common record to learn and better understand our past, allow frustrated citizens a place to express their complaints and content residents to articulate their gratitude, and learn who they are as a people tied together by geography. One reason I love sports: it offers folks an easy, non-polemic thing to love, support, and rag on.
Not surprisingly, The Athletic has found one of the few final value-adds the local newspaper has in 2017. Knowledgeable, opinionated, longtime writers who know, love, and tolerate the market, the team, and the fans. You do not raise Thompson or Kawakami overnight. In fact, you pay time and money to make one, then just plain money to keep them.
As referenced above, it’s been a seriously exhausting time to be in the newspaper industry. Havaianas Women's Slim Flip Flop Sandals, HibiscoTDA Womens Fashion Slip-on Mid Heel Satin Crystals Latin Modern Salsa Tango Ballroom Wedding Dance shoes
This administration's wrath at the media or The Athletic (probably the first) could be the death knell of many a local rag but it’s been hemorrhaging since it failed to take the internet seriously. We’re in a period of cynicism and rage at the media that will bankrupt a number of local newspapers. Increasingly, we won’t have the lure of local sports to encourage those most tempted by #FakeNews to patronize legitimate, hardworking, fact-checking outlets.
Here is the end of Bloomberg’s piece. It’s a fitting conclusion to my own:HANBINGPO Clear PVC Transparent Pumps Sandals Perspex Heel Stilettos High Heels Point Toes Womens Party shoes Nightclub Pump 35-42
[One Athletic investor] used to work at Yahoo! Inc., and says local sports coverage inspired unusual loyalty among readers. "We knew from our experience it was an insatiable and increasingly underserved market," he said. "Everybody lives somewhere."
BalaMasa Womens Ruched Comfort Backpacking Urethane Walking shoes APL10643
Support independent journalismish blogging things like Foul and Fair with Yyixianma Gladiator Sandals Women high Heels shoes Open Toe Ankle-wrap Party Wedding, a like, or a subscription sign-up. Having an audience of dedicated people sustains our joy for this endeavor. We can’t thank you enough for rocking with us.